News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

noobie

Started by Limeymike, January 20, 2012, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limeymike

Hi, I'm Mike in Sioux Falls, SD. Sold my Honda ST last year and looking at getting a KLR650 in the spring. Done with the sport touring mega miles Ironbutt side of things and wanting a more relaxed back road & dirt road pace.

loingrader

Welcome Mike.

There are more than a few of us here that have (or have had) the sport touring bug.  I'm certainly one of them.  I had an FJR and just recently sold my CBR1100xx.  I still like IBA mileage type rides but do them on my Wee these days. 

And no matter what you hear or read, the KLR is one of the best bikes made.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Limeymike

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure I will put in a few longer rides, maybe an SS1000 just to do it on a smaller machine but the timed rallies and endurance rides are probably in the 'Done that, have the tee shirt" file.

Hank

Hi Limeymike, welcome to the site.

I love the dual sports and the long distance riding. 

I've only done one SS1K (unofficial), but have plenty of long days under my belt and have taken annual trips for over 20 years.   Never done a timed or endurance event, can't say I'd really want to.  Well.. maybe once.

Anyway, I'm just up the slab in Watertown.  Hope to meet you.

torgo

Welcome to the KLR World.  Warning the farkling can get addictive.  I think I got at least a grand in farkles and I still need a good pipe.  LOL :evil

I'm just down the road outside of Sioux City,  my daughter goes to school at Augie.

Drop me line if you want to ride or something.
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

greatbuffalo

Limey, Welcome.
I like the dual sport and the touring so I got a machine that does both. Love my Tiger. I'm just down the road from you in Mitchell. Looking forward to riding with you.

Great bunch of folks here, I think you'll love being part of this group.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Limeymike

Hank, torgo, greatbuffalo, thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting in some rides with you after the thaw. I notice on the forum most of the ride reports are in the hills, any good locations east river? I have an agreement with my wife that my farkle budget is equal to her smoking budget.  :D

JoniJo

........in that case, I suspect you'll have a big farkle budget!

Welcome to the group. I'm south of you in Omaha. That only puts me 3 hours from Sioux Falls. We have relatives in your neck of the woods.

Great bunch of folks in the DDSR! If you crash and burn they usually get you to the hospital rather quickly! Got to love that!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to meeting you!   8)

Current rides:   '97 Honda Valkyrie & '97 Honda XR650. Love 'em both!                JoniJo

P.S. My latest farkle..... GoPro HD Hero 2!!!!  ;)
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Limeymike

I would really love her to quit smoking but I really want to upgrade my GPS. I need to find a more expensive store to buy them at. :evil

I did see that DDSR has its own helivac program, impressive!

Hank

We try to keep the helivac use to a bare minimum, if at all possible.   Speaking of helicopters, where is Yeti?   Haven't seen him around for a while.

greatbuffalo

Joni got to ride in the Xterrablance.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

JoniJo

And what a ride it was.
The "pilot" was most friendly and her driving was incredible. 
I still remember it fondly!   8)  ;D  8)    JoniJo

P.S. Welcome Limeymike.....
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on January 22, 2012, 06:44:04 PM
We try to keep the helivac use to a bare minimum, if at all possible.   Speaking of helicopters, where is Yeti?   Haven't seen him around for a while.

I'm still around.  :)  Just not much to say in the off season, y'know.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"