News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Looking for KLR for my other son

Started by greatbuffalo, July 25, 2012, 03:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Looking for a KLR650 in good shape and relatively low milage. Looking to spend in the $3000 range.
Anyone know of one for sale and if its in your area and we're interested, could you have a look at it?
I'm not looking for a project on this one. Needs to be ready to ride.

Thanks
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Will consider other longer legged dualsports.

Hank

I was trying to talk my brother in law into this, but he's passing for now.  Not a bad deal:

http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcy/3112821063.html

No offense to all the KLR lovers but having owned both I'd take a DRZ over a KLR any day of the week!

Lonesome Dave

Dan, there was a great deal on one a couple of weeks ago in RC, a twin to the one you have.  It had 2k miles for $3k.  I can't find it now, probably sold.  Try using bikefinds.com or searchtempest.com for your searches.  Bikefinds.com has about 75 listed right now.  I'll keep a look out.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Hank,
I'll run that DRZ by him. Would need another seat to make it a bit more comfy for longer rides.

Dave,
Keep an eye out. Thanks

Hank

Wacked can surely help you with a seat.  They do need better seats for sure!

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on July 25, 2012, 09:24:06 PM
No offense to all the KLR lovers but having owned both I'd take a DRZ over a KLR any day of the week!

offense taken!!!   ;D

and while drz's are fine machines i probably wouldn't call them "long legged"

plus, you have a gaggle of bikes to choose from hank.  my $0.02 is that if you can only have 1 bike, and you like dirt trips and road trips, the klr650 is hard to beat.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

there is a new one in Rapdi for sale, less than 1000mi. A friend of mine bought it new, then decided to go with a Super Tenere instead.. If anyone is interested let me know.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on July 26, 2012, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: Hank on July 25, 2012, 09:24:06 PM

offense taken!!!   ;D

and while drz's are fine machines i probably wouldn't call them "long legged"

plus, you have a gaggle of bikes to choose from hank.  my $0.02 is that if you can only have 1 bike, and you like dirt trips and road trips, the klr650 is hard to beat.

I don't know.. I ran across the state multiple times with KLRs, and other than the seat they were dead even.  The DRZ even won the long drag race up the Cheyenne river crossing hill on Highway 14 against my old '00 KLR.   If you plan to ride even 20% dirt I'd take the DRZ.   
I've owned 2 KLRs and only 1 DRZ, so you can't say I'm wrongfully biased either!   ;)

Hank

One more thing.. two weeks ago when we went to the North Shore Shindig we rode out, so I did a pile of highway miles.  Never once wished I had my KLR back :)
Of course Cara was riding her Xt225 that whole way, so maybe I didn't dare be unhappy with my ride.

I will say the KLR is better at 70 or over, but they both suck at that speed.   If I were to ride to Alaska, yes I'd choose a KLR.  If I were to ride around town with the occassional medium distance (<400 miles) road trip and a good percentage of dirt.. DRZ all the way.

Now where is Sprout.. maybe he'd like to chime in..

Hank

loingrader

Sunday after the june rally Brian was riding a drz400 back to Platte.  We were doing 65-70 mph and bucking a NASTY headwind.  We topped the tank off on the edge of rapid and he ran out of fuel at 60 miles (10 short of the fuel stop in interior).

That is a pretty short range compared to a KLR. 

They are both awesome bikes and the DRZ is certainly better on the dirt but I'd say that the KLR is much better on the highway.

this is way over your budget but a nice klr and practically local.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805855&highlight=klr650+armour
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I do have an aftermarket tank on mine - 4 gallons and get around 40 mpg on the highway and 60+ on the trails.   Not sure why a properly running drz would run out at 60 miles.. even with the tiny stock tank that's only 25 mpg???   hmmm.

Anyway, GB needs a bike, lets find him one!

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

jacin theis

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS