News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

WTB Off Road Boots

Started by greatbuffalo, May 30, 2012, 10:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Hey all, anyone got any off road boots they want to part with? I've got a relatively large foot, 12 to 13.
I wanted to find some Gaerne G Adventure boots but haven't found any size 13. I think they are being discontinued and no one has any 13s. If anyone can give me some advice on some new ones that won't break the bank that would be appreciated. I've never own any so don't have any experience.

Thanks
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

remind me to have you try one of my used pairs of dirt boots. They would get you safely throught the weekend even if a half size too small. Ask Joni her opinion of getting by with other boots.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

I'm not so worried about this weekend as I am when I decide to ride with reckless abandon. I'm really thinking of getting into riding hare scrambles and the like  and want a bit more support when I do that.

Still haven't decided if I'm riding much this weekend. I think I'm gonna hang with my friend this weekend and save my riding time for the Rally in a few weeks. I'll decide in tomorrow morning.

Sportfaller

After Jonis deal, my wreck in moab, and nearly taking my foot off on a stump at fall rally, I had been thinking about my boots a lot.  I make my living on my feet, and I'd be really hosed if I F*ed up a foot.

So I bought a pair if Sidi Crossfire SRS's.  I've only ridden a few times in them, and havent quite figures out the fitment with my knee/shin guards, but they are REALLY REALLY nice protection, and fully rebuildible!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

I've been riding in a pair of Gaerne SG-10s for a few years, got 'em for just over $200 (gotta search a lot to find a deal though). Great protection and very very comfortable. Go a size small if you get 'em.

I just got a pair of Sidi Adventure Rains for the 'not so technical' rides. Haven't had them on the bike yet, but they fit great and feel really good walking around. Seem to have almost as much protection as the SG-10s - not as many hard parts though. Pretty expensive compared to the SG-10s - around $400.

I've got an old beat up pair of Gaerne Explorers that I've now retired - size 13. Not much for protection though, only good for the street IMO, but you're welcome to them if you want 'em!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Osnabrock

I got a pair of Oxtar boots a few years ago off of another forum.  Now they go by the brand name TCX.  Top of the line Italian stuff I've read.  I've been keeping an eye open for another set.  They're really comfortable after they're broken in, not so much before.  They're also truly waterproof!
As luck would have it there's a pair of supermoto ones on Ebay now for cheap.  Mine aren't the supermoto ones but they look alot alike.  Size 13 no less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxtar-TCX-Supermotard-Supermoto-Offroad-Boots-size-47-US-13-/190682202904?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2c658b8318&vxp=mtr
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

I just ordered a pair of Alpinestars Scout WP Boots. I'll let you know how I like em when I get em.

The Yeti

I tried the Scouts, they were really tight in the width, but I do have pretty fat feet. That's been my experience with all A* boots.

greatbuffalo

I'm kinda worried about that too but these seem to be the widest out there. We'll see.

Lonesome Dave

I just bought a set of Gaerne SG-10s last week.  Rocky Mountain ATV $319 free shipping and free return.  I actually talked with Atomic Moto and he talked me out of the Gaerne Balance and into something from aggressive.  He absolutely loves the SG-10s and the big selling point for me was the hinge.  Rode with them last weekend, and keep in mind I've never worn moto boots.  I was really surprised on how they made me feel.  They gave me a certain degree of confidence when I came into the corners, and I don't have a lot of confidence these days.  But, the shifting is a real problem.  I tried adjusting the lever up until it hit the case and wouldn't go into gear!  I'll try it some more before I get to excited about it.  Probably just need to learn to shift differently.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

Yeah Dave, that tall toe box on the SG-10s takes some getting used to when shifting. If you've run out of adjustment on your shift lever, you may have to look into a longer aftermarket lever.

sam i am

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on June 01, 2012, 07:32:53 PMBut, the shifting is a real problem.  I tried adjusting the lever up until it hit the case and wouldn't go into gear!  I'll try it some more before I get to excited about it.  Probably just need to learn to shift differently.

You might want to give these a try.  Here.  You can buy different length and style tips to try and dial in a good feel.  I threw their shift lever and +15W tip on my KTM since my size 13 foot was giving me trouble with accidentally hitting neutral on my 1-2 shift.  It definitely helped with shifting, but I still occasionally hit neutral  :-[.  Plus, who doesn't like a little colored bling on their bike?

Lonesome Dave

I think I just hijacked this thread, at least a little.  :o  Sorry Dan!  I had less trouble shifting this weekend.  Usually the problem is 2nd to 3rd.  But I figured out that I was leaving my foot there and not letting the lever come back down so I could shift again.  I did wonder about a longer arm or offset lever.  I was thinking about doing some welding.  I'll leave it alone for awhile, see how I adapt.  Thanks for the info.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

No worries Dave it was just a little discussion on boots and what to get. I like the extra feedback. That way I know what to look for of these don't don't pan out.