News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trans South Dakota Trail

Started by sleddog, June 12, 2011, 10:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleddog

I created mostly gravel route across the state. I've ridden about 1/2 of it. See some pictures here.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/152868/message/1307893602/Trans+South+Dakota+Trail

Sleddog

hellneau

we should plan a spike ceremony. you ride from the right, we'll send a representitive from the left, meet in the middle and drive a spike in the road at that point with a DDSR cap.

Bogus Jim

That looks like a nice route sleddog. I'd like to ride the eastern half, never ridden in that part of the state. I rode a short section of your route today, out by Wasta. Here are a few photos.

Bridge by Highway 1416 and Jensen(?) road

Huge Killer Snake underneath the bridge.

The Cheyenne River, and a very bent tree.

I took Baseline road back to Rapid City, this is looking back towards Wasta.

Of course no ride near the Badlands is complete without a touristy Badlands photo that is both under and over-exposed. On Sage Creek Rim.

sleddog

Quote from: hellneau on June 12, 2011, 10:11:01 PM
we should plan a spike ceremony. you ride from the right, we'll send a representitive from the left, meet in the middle and drive a spike in the road at that point with a DDSR cap.

That would be fun.......Could have a Party on the Prairie.....

Bogusjim, cool pics. I can't wait to ride the Western half of the route.

I've got gdb tracks of the portion I've ridden. If anyone would like them, drop me a PM.
Or better yet, explain to me how to attach the file here.

Sleddog

Hank

That is very cool.  Maybe we can have a lil organized ride around that route sometime this summer or fall.

Nice work!

sleddog

Tentatively planning to comple the Western portion of the route over the 4th of July weekend. If someone wants to ride East to West I'd be willing to ride the entire route. Or meet up along the way with some of the West River riders.

Sleddog

sleddog

greatbuffalo

Great stuff Sleddog. Your my kind of rider and historian. I love to ride to these places and wonder what it would've been like to stand in those spots 100+ years ago. Thanks for sharing.

I'd love to join you on a ride if open schedules ever converged.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

torgo

I plan on riding the trans SD trail ( in  a modified form ) from Sioux City to Keystone on Sept. 21st to the 23rd.  Anyone want to join?

email me if you want the GPX file.

travis.lloyd@ch2m.com
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

sleddog

Dr Psyko

Great stuff, fun to read.

Thanks!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

torgo

Thanks Sleddog,

I flew into Rapid on the 20th of Oct and spent a half of a day on the Black Hills trails working on my KLR skills.

Victoria Lake Road area

A nice rocky climb

Then I headed home to Iowa via county and gravel roads.  I had found a road in TOPO 9.0 that looked like fun:  BIA Road.  What a jewel, it was like riding right through the badlands off road.  The road was dry and not a soul around.  Great fun on a KLR.

Maybe we should add this road to the Trans South Dakota Trail.

I drove 450 miles to get from Rapid City to Emery, SD where my parents were and where I spent the night.

You could say I wandered a little.

greatbuffalo

I've done some riding in the Badlands. The south unit is open to some travel. I did some Archaeology surveys out there a few years back. Can get sketchy in places especially after a rain. Would love a Ural for that kind of stuff.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

sleddog

Torgo,

Would that be  BIA 2 that skirts along the south side of the Badlands?

BTW, I' just a few miles East of Emery, 1/2 mile south off hiway 42.

Do you have tracks of your route?

Sleddog

torgo

Yes I have the tracks.  I will try and get them cleaned up tonight.  Just from memory, I picked it up right out of Interior and ended up at Wanablee.

I did not think they had gas at Wanablee but there is a small C-Store.  FYI