News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Radar Domes

Started by Wacked, April 22, 2012, 10:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

So, I'm in Lewistown MT for the weekend, sentenced to 20hrs of Volleyball.  Forget that, I'll bring the bike and try to reduce my sentence by half. 

Since the locals know all the good riding spots, I go to the local bike dealership for advice.  They have maps and a really cool trail system BUT.....   It's too early and the trails will still be snowed in.  The next best option is some local gravel roads in the opposite direction.  They guy behind the counter sketches out a route with some points of interest.  First stop is the Radar Domes, a cold war relic that sits on the top of the Judith Range.  I'm off.

I drive about 12 miles through cattle country and turn right onto a secondary road an up into a little valley.  Barb-Wire man greets me to the valley  The road eventually transitions to gravel and winds higher, an higher into the tree-line.  Every now and then there's a break in the trees and the views are stunning.  Seems you can see out 50 or so miles.

As I'm winding up, I'm also starting to see some patches of snow, no big deal.  Then ......  around the corner I come and nothing but snow-pack.  Ouch - I'm dang close.  Up to my left maybe 1-1/2 miles and I see the Domes perched on the top of the ridge.  But in front of me there's nothing but snow.  ATVs have packed down a trail.  I follow it maybe 70 yards, the packed snow is maybe 18-24" deep.  This is crazy, I'm riding solo and a guy should never drive into something farther than he can drag his ass out of.  I turned it around since the bike has already got stuck once and dumped once.  The snow-field would be a whole different place once the sun hit it. 

Two miles after driving down from my minor snow adventure, I saw this funky little trail that went straight up to nowhere, muddy but no snow.  I had to try it.  It went up, over, and back maybe 2 miles.  Fun trail, not too difficult.  Drove around some snow, scared up some mule deer, and eventually plopped out on top of the range at somebodies solitary mine.  It's my understanding that there are saphires in these hills

Checked the map and started to head back.  There was another way out of the valley but when I get there, the road was closed due to a wash-out, so I head back the same way I came. 

That's my little mini adventure.  Great scenery, great weather, and a reprieve from the Volleyball sentence.  I'll be coming back for sure in the summer to check-out the trails.

Wacked

Lonesome Dave

That sounded like fun, damn snow!  :(
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Sounds like a good time.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

JoniJo

Sounds great.
You're a good writer.     JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Wacked

Thanks Joni.

Hey, can anyone give me a photo loading tutorial.  I thought I had 4 that would show up.

Wacked

Hank

Nice report, thanks.    The best way to put up photos is to get yourself a photobucket account - the basic ones are free.
Put your pictures on photobucket - then follow the instructions here:

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=7.0

Wacked

Thanks Hank!  I'll go down the PhotoBucket route next time.

Wacked