News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Identify this part?

Started by Hank, October 01, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

This is a moto forum! I just figured the Brits figured out an backassward way of building a simple part and it failed you on one of your trumps.  :))

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on October 02, 2013, 11:55:24 AM
This is a moto forum! I just figured the Brits figured out an backassward way of building a simple part and it failed you on one of your trumps.  :))

It has multiple uses.

Triumph thermostat:

Regulator / rectifier:

Lonesome Dave

Hank, I can tell its going to be a long winter for you!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Is it too early to start planning the spring rally?

greatbuffalo

Bret, that sounded a wee bit negative on the Brits. I love my triumph and won't let anyone talk bad about it.  :P :P :P
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

I'm British so no disrespect intended.  Their engineering is just "special". Germans too.  How bout those BMW servo assist brakes?

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on October 03, 2013, 09:29:46 PM
I'm British so no disrespect intended.  Their engineering is just "special". Germans too.  How bout those BMW servo assist brakes?

I can think of plenty of examples of overdone German engineering, but not really any in the case of Triumph.  There stuff is pretty "normal" in design and execution.   Well, except for the Tiger's thermostat :)

greatbuffalo

My only issue with my bike is that in order to service the air filter, gain access to the plugs and a handful of other items, you first have to remove the VERY large fuel tank. If its time to do address those things you have to take a long ride to deplete the fuel supply; lifting the tank filled with fuel is not suggested. It is possible to drain the tank but its a PITA. That, along with using different sized machine screws to hold the side covers. They could have made it so you only need one driver is needed.

I'm sure I could come up with a few more issues but I don't think there are much more than other bikes I've owned. The one that comes to mind in the Yamaha XJ's. Who the heck came up with the YICS system. One of the most annoying systems ever put on a bike. Then there's the Honda Pacific Coast where you have to remove 30 (exaggerated) pieces of plastic body cladding. They didn't call them Tuperware bikes for nothing.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

My TDM was the worst design I've seen for ease of access to anything.  It took 26 screws to get the battery out.

Maybe it wouldnt have been so bad but I had the carbs out of that thing probably 20 times, and it got really old (and battery removal was part of the carb removal process).

KTM 950/990 ADVs are also well known for similar issues, but I didn't find it as frustrating as the TDM.    KTMs small bikes actually seem pretty easy to work on.  An oil change on the 400 XC-W takes less time than on the WR.  Likewise valve checks and shim changing is way easier too.

YOURDRUNKDAD

Whats this microwave duh icky youall is talking about ???
Also July 18th a buddy of mine from Ut and I are doing the CO and UT BDR's. If your interested in going let me know.