News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Garmin Oregon

Started by grubbie, August 29, 2014, 07:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Upgraded my GPS to a Garmin Oregon so I could actually download you guys' tracks, and I like how you do the google earth thing. I downloaded the BHNF map from the website onto the GPS with no problem, but it doesn't show up on basecamp. Garmin's answer was basically, "Yeah, that can happen". Are you guys using something different? Thanks.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

I to have the Garmin Oregon but have not tried base camp. We should try this wireless share at fall rally I have one saved I think you would enjoy it ,but it would be more fun if I just showed you and you tracked it. See you soon.

Lonesome Dave

Grubbie, you should be able to download "gpx" files to your Oregon and see them layered on top of the BHNF maps.  And you can download them to Base Camp and see them.  But, the BHNF maps to directly work in base camp.  However, I know this really smart guy, who happens to be on this forum, has run the BHNF maps through babelmap.com and converted them so base camp will read them.  (Way over my head)  It works pretty.  I will let this "really smart guy" identify himself on his own!  But, before you finish reading this, you probably already figured it out. 

One thing I have recently learned to do is shut off all the different layered maps, and only have the BHNF map on.  This is real simple idea, and I actually did it by mistake the first time and found it works good.  You don't have any topographical lines or other info, but often you don't need all that if your trying to follow a particular trail.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

Im getting there,....I downloaded Bogus' Custer loop for a test and it worked without issue on my Oregon and Basecamp. I was wanting to see the BHNF trails on Basecamp for trip planning and such. The more I look into it the more I don't want to mess with it. I might go back to using mapsource, it worked without these issues.

Bogus Jim

Rob this is the procedure I use to get the BHNF maps into MapSource or Basecamp. There might be a better way but this works...

1. Download the Google Earth Travel Map (KML) from the FS website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5405842.zip

2. Download and install GPS Babel from http://www.gpsbabel.org/

3. Run GPS Babel, for input file, select the KML file you downloaded from the Forest Service. For input format, select Google Earth (Keyhole) Markup Language

4. For Translation Options select only "Tracks"

5. For output format, select GPX XML. Enter an output filename like "2014BHNF.gpx"

6. Click Apply and it will generate a gpx file that you can load into Basecamp or Mapsource.

The gpx file should have about 3,000 tracks, one for every trail in the Black Hills. Just copy and paste these to create a longer track that you can upload to your Garmin.

The gpx file is too large to attach on this forum but if you want, PM me your email and I can send the file to you.

NDave

sounds  easy              I have a question          Whats a file?

Lonesome Dave

Now that was funny NDave.  ;D

There must be two "really smart guys" on this forum!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

Thanks Jim, doesn't look too difficult, even for me. Might give it a try this weekend if I get time. The Oregon is quite a bit easier for DL'ing gpx tracks than the old Etrex. But I'm having trouble getting used to the touch screen. Turned the sensitivity way down on it, but still pull up a menu whenever I try and wipe off the dust. Need to buy some maps for it though. By the way, I am loving your ride report......

plumber mike

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on September 03, 2014, 08:10:29 PM
Now that was funny NDave.  ;D

There must be two "really smart guys" on this forum!

.....but how will one "lose his way"?

.....or more properly "get lost smart guy"

:-X

;D