News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Yamaha WR250R!

Started by The Yeti, July 15, 2009, 09:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

Wow. I thought my mind numbing 5 mph tour of the hills sucked but your fall sounds worse. Don't use a pinky finger as an excuse ;D Maybe you could tape it to the ring finger. See you at the rally(where is the "deal" smiley?)Oh and a token GET WELL SOON

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on September 08, 2009, 07:28:02 PMYou BETTER be ready for the rally!!!

I gather, from reading on the inter-web, that I'm supposed to keep this splint on for two weeks...is 11 days close enough ??? :evil

You know you gotta take everything you read on the internet with a grain, but from what I've read, looks like about 6 weeks before I can expect significant range of motion...may never be 100% again.   :'(  Oh well, it's the price you pay for the fun these bikes provide!  ;D ;D ;D

Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting too old for this sh*t ???

J/K...first thing I said to my wife when she got home tonight was "Honey, I know you don't wanna hear this, but I CAN'T WAIT to get back on the bike"...not so surprisingly, she understands.   ;D  I really love that lady.  :-*
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

plumber mike

The in-laws came up with a 200cc three wheeler and I loaned them my "work" 400cc ATV and took them out and showed them a few local trails. I was on the XR (because the cat clogged the exhaust on the BMW and the new pipe is on order) Every time I shifted to second I would lose them and have to stop and wait. They went out alone and got lost which was the only time I had a spirited ride this weekend. I'm looking forward to the rally. If you need someone to ride your bike for you while you prepare meals for the riders back at camp just let me know ;D :D ::) Tape that f@#$%^& finger to the next good finger and ride the hell out of that WR. I will stop and help you pick it up if need be(after I take a picture :evil)

See you all in 2 weeks

Mike

fringefan

You'll be fine. I rhode the first ralley with a broken wrist so one little finger should not hold you back ;D

loingrader

i agree with the group.  put on the glove and tape the pinky to the ring finger.  you'll survive the rally my friend!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on September 09, 2009, 09:33:05 AM
i agree with the group.  put on the glove and tape the pinky to the ring finger.  you'll survive the rally my friend!

So, I know you're a pharmacist (right?)...is this your professional opinion, or your motorcycle rider opinion?   ;)

plumber mike

Trust us! We are professionals ;D If you want we can get a doctor to tell you to go ride...or just hang it up altogether. Sell me the WR and I'll be on the hunt for a mid 90's Park Avenue for you get around.

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on September 09, 2009, 04:36:31 PM
So, I know you're a pharmacist (right?)...is this your professional opinion, or your motorcycle rider opinion?   ;)

it's what i would do.   ;D

sometimes what i would do and what i recommend someone else do are two different things.  in this case, they are the same.  as a rider, pharmacist, and one who was involved in contact sports for many years, i say tape that sucker up and ride away.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Pics of the carnage!   :P

This is moments after the crash:

And the obligatory x-ray:

I don't have any current pics of the finger, but it looks very colorful!!  And my whole hand is very puffy.

The Yeti

Carnage to the bike:

I got my bars straightened back out.  It looked like the bar mounts (on the triple tree) were just spun about a 1/4" out of square, so I squared them up and tightened back down. My risers were all kinds of outa shape, but were easy to true-up again.  Doesn't look like the bars themselves got bent at all.  My left side hand-guard spun around on the bars so it was pointing almost straight up (kinda disappointed with the way the Zeta guards mount up, and obviously didn't protect my hand as much as I'd hoped).  My left side fairing got busted up pretty good.  Broke a tab that connected it to the bike, so I drilled a couple holes and zip-tied 'er on!  Ripped of the back left turn signal...I had a spare on hand and replaced it quickly. My shifter got bent in, I bent it back out.  My turn signal switch's push-to-cancel is not working very well anymore, feels like something got broke in there. I have to push it three or four times to get it to work.  My fender pack fell off during the crash, and I thought I had it strapped back on, but I lost it somewhere on the ride back to town after the crash, with my tire irons and spare tube in it.   :'(

Since the bars got tweaked so hard, is there anything I should look out for when I (ever) get to ride it again as far as the front end being out of whack?  Should I worry about the shifter not being as strong after the bend in/bend out procedure?

Hank

You might want to loosen up your axle bolt (or carriers), and compress the front end vigorously a few times, then tight the axle back up.   KTM recommends a procedure like that for squaring things up...  Do  you have a copy of your KTM manual yet?   Although if it feels straight when you're riding, it's probably fine.

As far as the shifter, I guess I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Your finger looks tough in that picture!!!

Hank

Oh and I gotta give you Kudos for actually stopping to take a picture of your finger.  That makes me laugh...  I can say with a fair amount of certainty that a picture would have been the last thing on my mind at that particular moment.

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on September 10, 2009, 07:51:58 PM
Oh and I gotta give you Kudos for actually stopping to take a picture of your finger.  That makes me laugh...  I can say with a fair amount of certainty that a picture would have been the last thing on my mind at that particular moment.

I think the adrenaline took over at that point, I wasn't feeling a lot of pain, plus the last thing I wanted to do was pick up that bike!  :o  I took about a 2 minute breather before I even attempted.

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on September 10, 2009, 07:48:41 PM
You might want to loosen up your axle bolt (or carriers), and compress the front end vigorously a few times, then tight the axle back up.   KTM recommends a procedure like that for squaring things up...  Do  you have a copy of your KTM manual yet?   Although if it feels straight when you're riding, it's probably fine.

As far as the shifter, I guess I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Your finger looks tough in that picture!!!

My KTM manual  ???  You must be drinking.   :cheers

I'll do what you suggested, can't hurt!  ;D  Thanks!