News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Yamaha WR250R!

Started by The Yeti, July 15, 2009, 09:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: The Yeti on September 10, 2009, 04:57:18 PM

In this pic, you're probably saying, "those ruts don't look so bad".  Keep in mind, I slid probably 10+ feet after hitting the ground.  The bike slid a bit less.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

plumber mike

Quote from: Hank on September 10, 2009, 07:51:58 PM
Oh and I gotta give you Kudos for actually stopping to take a picture of your finger.  That makes me laugh...  I can say with a fair amount of certainty that a picture would have been the last thing on my mind at that particular moment.

X2. Wow :o

Now where do you think the pack might be. I could ride out and look for you if you think there is a chance of finding it before someone else finds it.

The Yeti

Quote from: plumber mike on September 10, 2009, 10:36:08 PM
Now where do you think the pack might be. I could ride out and look for you if you think there is a chance of finding it before someone else finds it.

Thanks for the offer.   It fell off somewhere on the highlighted trail, X marks the spot of the crash (I think, coulda been a bit closer to the exit of the trail, on 718 which is a gravel road, but if you get to where the X is, you've went too far).

The Yeti

Oh yeah, this is the actual pack:

I'm gonna try to get out there after work tonight, but not sure if my Element can handle the trail.   We'll see!  :evil

Hank

Quote from: The Yeti on September 10, 2009, 05:15:39 PM
Carnage to the bike:

I got my bars straightened back out.  It looked like the bar mounts (on the triple tree) were just spun about a 1/4" out of square, so I squared them up and tightened back down. My risers were all kinds of outa shape, but were easy to true-up again.  Doesn't look like the bars themselves got bent at all.  My left side hand-guard spun around on the bars so it was pointing almost straight up (kinda disappointed with the way the Zeta guards mount up, and obviously didn't protect my hand as much as I'd hoped).  My left side fairing got busted up pretty good.  Broke a tab that connected it to the bike, so I drilled a couple holes and zip-tied 'er on!  Ripped of the back left turn signal...I had a spare on hand and replaced it quickly. My shifter got bent in, I bent it back out.  My turn signal switch's push-to-cancel is not working very well anymore, feels like something got broke in there. I have to push it three or four times to get it to work.  My fender pack fell off during the crash, and I thought I had it strapped back on, but I lost it somewhere on the ride back to town after the crash, with my tire irons and spare tube in it.   :'(

Since the bars got tweaked so hard, is there anything I should look out for when I (ever) get to ride it again as far as the front end being out of whack?  Should I worry about the shifter not being as strong after the bend in/bend out procedure?

This might be of interest...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10833789&postcount=3524

fringefan

Since the weather sucks today, if you want to take the jeep out to look for it let me know. We can thow my girls in the back.

The Yeti

Went out for a little test ride this morning.  I rode out to the trail where I lost my pack...no luck.   :'(

I found myself quite gun-shy.  Anything approaching technical conditions had me backing WAY off, even paddling through a few spots I would have blasted through on the throttle just a couple weeks ago.   >:(  The sore hand gave me a little trouble on rocks, but otherwise I can definitely ride, just gotta avoid any big smacks to the handlebars (OUCH!).  So, no Camp 5, Pilot Knob, or any such other rocky conditions for me this weekend.  That's alright, looks like we may have a couple big bikes I can lead around on the easier stuff.   :P  I'm really bummed out about this, but really nothing I can do.  I don't want to re-injure the hand and prolong the healing process, so it is what it is.

I also noticed something today I didn't see after the crash.  On the left side of my bike, towards the back, there WAS a helmet lock (never used it).  It was completely sheared off during the crash!  Some big forces going on there...I'm really surprised I came out of it without more injuries.

Still looking forward to having a ton of fun with you guys!  See you all tomorrow.

excess

Quote from: The Yeti on September 17, 2009, 01:13:13 PM
Went out for a little test ride this morning.  I rode out to the trail where I lost my pack...no luck.   :'(

I found myself quite gun-shy.  Anything approaching technical conditions had me backing WAY off, even paddling through a few spots I would have blasted through on the throttle just a couple weeks ago.   >:(  The sore hand gave me a little trouble on rocks, but otherwise I can definitely ride, just gotta avoid any big smacks to the handlebars (OUCH!).  So, no Camp 5, Pilot Knob, or any such other rocky conditions for me this weekend.  That's alright, looks like we may have a couple big bikes I can lead around on the easier stuff.   :P  I'm really bummed out about this, but really nothing I can do.  I don't want to re-injure the hand and prolong the healing process, so it is what it is.

I also noticed something today I didn't see after the crash.  On the left side of my bike, towards the back, there WAS a helmet lock (never used it).  It was completely sheared off during the crash!  Some big forces going on there...I'm really surprised I came out of it without more injuries.

Still looking forward to having a ton of fun with you guys!  See you all tomorrow.

that sucks

The Yeti

Went out this afternoon for a few hours. I think I got about 90% of my confidence in the bike back.  When a bike (seemingly) let's you down (more likely, operator error), it always seems to take me awhile to trust the bike again. That process was pretty quick today!  ;D The hand feels good, might even be able to tackle some rocks after all.  :evil

loingrader

;D ;D ;D ;D    that's good to hear yeti.  see you soon bud...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Just keep in mind that you only need 1 or 2 gears for the tuff stuff so shifting is overrated ;D

jacin theis

Yeti, where did you get the skid plate on your wr250? i would like to get mine set up during the winter so that i dont have it down during the riding season. Do you have a good source for aftermarket parts for your bike?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

Quote from: jacin theis on December 30, 2009, 07:40:56 PM
Yeti, where did you get the skid plate on your wr250? i would like to get mine set up during the winter so that i dont have it down during the riding season. Do you have a good source for aftermarket parts for your bike?

Hmmm...y'know, I can't remember where I got the skidplate off the top of my head.  I'll have to look at my email when I get home and let you know.

I don't have a single source for aftermarket parts. I'm sure you've seen the giant thread on the WRR over on ADVRider...if not, start reading now and you MIGHT be done by spring.  ;D

Here's a great source for reviews and stuff:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/home

And this is a WRR specific forum:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/index.htm?sid=8dd2da8eb2fad87fd260b7140ee2980f

Welcome to the forum, BTW!  I'm thrilled to see another WRR owner here!!  How long you had yours?  When the weather clears up we'll have to get out for a ride.

Dratharr

Hi Yeti,
Remember me? We did a ride a couple of years ago, me on my KLR, look what followed me home last week, now we have to go for a ride!

The Yeti

Yeah, Matt, I remember that ride well...lotsa mud that day!

Congrats on the WRR! Is it brand new? Looks like it.  Let the farkling begin!  ;D  When you get some seat time, let us know what you think about it compared to your KLR. Did you keep the KLR still?