News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

FNG from WY

Started by BCB1080, June 25, 2014, 02:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCB1080

Good evening (working nights right now don't mind the timestamp) everybody. I just discovered this site and I'm glad I did. I'm over in Pine Haven Wy next to Keyhole Reservoir. I ride a 08 990 Adv. S and would love to ride with some people. I pretty much run around solo cause I'm relatively new to the area. 28 years old, Girlfriend and dogs; concerns are few so hit me up to rip around and maybe (hopefully) indulge in a beverage.

Couple of ?s for you guys while I'm at it. I feel on advrider people get annoyed and conversations get big with simple stuff sometimes.
1) I need/want a GPS for the bike. It needs to beable to do tracks like the DAKAL and COBDR.  Medium price point is fine; hell entry level but with a high level of functionality would be ideal.
2) Any of you guys handy on wrenching KTMs. I love this thing but with FI and electronics I'm not as comfortable working on it as I was with my KLR and I kinda want to have somebody plug it in to TUNEECU and see where it is at map wise. I'd take it to the dealer but they just seem clueless and ok with winging it/makin shit up.

Thanks and glad to be here.

greatbuffalo

Welcome BCB, I work nights too

Some great folks here and I'm sure someone will answer your questions.

GPS units are all different but most folks use Garmins as they are the closest thing you can find to universal. Most of the outdoor related models will do what you want. Go to GPScity.com and start your search. This will give you an idea as to which type you want. The 62s is a decent unit and on sale right now for 199 bucks. I use a Delorme but they take some getting use to.

As far as the wrenching thing goes......  There is a growing population of those orange bikes littering our KLR world. It used to be so nice till they came around.  ;D  Sure you can find someone who may want to experiment on your machine.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Hi BCB.

I had a Garmin etrex from about 08 which I absolutely hated, then last year I got one of the 62s and it works pretty darn good.   Much easier to use, bigger screen, I'm pretty happy with it.

I used to have a 950 ADV, but mine was an 06 so it was pre FI.      I have used TuneECU with my 690 Enduro though, and I'd say just dig in - hook it up and upload.     Its pretty easy to use.      I remapped my 690 and had no issues the first time out.

I have a link bookmarked at home (will get later) that really explains it step by step for the 690.     Can't be much different with the 990?

I'd be happy to help, but I live on the wrong side of the state!

Lonesome Dave

Welcome to the group BCB.  GB is right, Garmin is the way to go.  Forest service has all the garmins in there list on their site, and be can download directly to your gps. 

Wacked has an garmin 60csx for sale ($135 I think?).  One of the best Garmin ever made.  The model is older and slower, but works great and never loses it signal.  I use to have one, Bogus Jim and Grubbie still do.

I bought a new Garmin Montana.  It's a much larger screen.  Works great and pretty easy to use.  The main thing is the screen size IMO.  If a person could mount a laptop on the bars that would be the bomb.  Check out what Wacked is now doing.  Android system with Avenza app.  It works great.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

If you want a mid-level Garmin, also look at the 78 (about $180). It is the marine version of the 62s. Two advantages - polarized glass screen for less glare, and weatherproof power connector instead of mini-usb. The latter is only important if you want to hard-wire it to the bike. For long trips I think 12v power is better than swapping batteries every 2-3 days.

My favorite GPS though is still the paper Benchmark Atlas.   ;D

Hank

Here's an excellent guide to TuneEcu for the 690, I'd think it would be applicable to the 990.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931664&highlight=tuneecu

grubbie

Welcome! I am in Rozet, might hit you up for riding sometime.

BCB1080

Hell yeah. Thanks guys.
Grubbie-sounds good; I'll be running around north of Sundance pretty much all weekend with my buddy who is coming from Laramie to buy my KLR if ya want to meet for a little trail hit me up on here and we'll figure somethin out.
Hank-Awesome info much appreciated.
All/BogusJim-Sounds like I'll be getting the garmin I like the sound of the 78/62s and price.
Thanks again. See ya around.