News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Don't some PO's make you PO'd?

Started by greatbuffalo, July 18, 2011, 11:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Since my purchase of my Tiger I've had an annoying chain slap that sounded at slow speed like the chain was binding. The chain and sprockets are in good condition. Tried adjusting several times but unable to solve the issue.

Last evening I was studying the problem some more and looked at the eccentric adjusters and realized the the adjusters have been flipped over. Not sure why I didn't notice this sooner.

The 2 previous PO's where admittedly short and mantioned this is why they they both decided to sell. I guess that in an effort to lose a little altitude one of then flipped the adjuster.

I flipped it back to where it should be and, Ta Da!!! What a difference. I just wished it had been revealed to me at the time I bought it.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Every used bike has little surprises like that it seems.   Those "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?" moments...

Osnabrock

I recently heard of a guy that bought a bike that, once he did a "once over" at home, found that the previous owner had been running the bike without an air filter.  He probably thought that he was "opening up" the bike.
I've also heard stories of dealers making some errors in assembly with brand new bikes or when returning a bike to it's owner after repair.  My girlfriend just brought her bike home from her dealer to discover that the seat wasn't attached to the bike. She brought it home in the bed of her truck and could have lost the seat on the highway home. 
I've also heard of someone who, after having warranty work done on a new bike, discovered within a mile of the shop that the front brake caliper wasn't securely fastened to the fork.  That's scary.
I've done similar things though.  I once forgot to tighten the rear axle bolt of my bike.  That could have been bad too.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

I think we've all had those "What was I thinking" moments.  ???
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

oktaneho

It's one thing to forget to do something, everyone makes mistakes.  One time I changed the oil in my TL and forgot to put the oil filler cap back on before starting it.  Instant oil geyser.  You only have to wipe oil off your garage wall once to not make that mistake again.

It's another thing when people do stuff on purpose and don't know what the hell they are doing.  When I went through my 450 EXC I bought used this spring I found the throttle push cable unhooked.  Not just like someone forgot to hook it up either, the end of the cable was wrapped in plastic to keep dirt out and the hole in the carb was plugged.  I also found a little bit of pre-mix in the gas (?) and a bunch of bolts missing including one of the 2 main subframe bolts.  Also the keeper was missing on the rear brake caliper pin and one of the chain adjusters wasn't tight against the axle block.  Just dumb chit that shouldn't have been like that.  I'm more pissed at myself for not noticing these things when I looked at it though.

Before I bought this one I went and looked at an 05 EXC 450 for sale locally.  The oil level wasn't even in the sight glass when I started looking at it and the motor was cold.  I pointed it out to the owner and he wasn't worried about it. :o  I couldn't run away from that bike fast enough.

Bottom line go through any bike you buy top to bottom before you ride it.  Make sure it's 100%.