News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Bear trap and igloo cave

Started by Ianreuter10, September 11, 2013, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Jimbo your my hero.  I guess I'll be busy this weekend. 

What happened with the WR?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on September 24, 2013, 10:33:05 PM
What happened with the WR?

The WRR is still acting up... but I think I have narrowed it down. The issue seems to happen only when the tank is 1/2 full or less. So, my best guess is that the fuel pump is sucking air when the fuel level drops below 1/2. Or else the pump is overheating and seizing, because it's not cooled by the fuel. This issue started when I installed the new 3 gallon tank and pump. Frankly I am tired of working on it so I'll just try to keep the tank more than 1/2 full until I feel like working on it again.

One other note... I think that Bear Trap may have a gate once you get beyond the ladder, but I just couldn't see anything down there without a light.

Ianreuter10

Just want to thank all of you for your work to try and find these caves. You just made my week.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on September 24, 2013, 10:33:05 PM
I guess I'll be busy this weekend. 

According to this document, the caves are to be closed Oct. 1 to May 31. If that is the case then this weekend will be the last opportunity this year. There doesn't seem to be a lot of publicity about this.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5430254.pdf

tannerc

Quote from: Bogus Jim on September 24, 2013, 08:21:01 PM

I took Ditch Creek to 296, then 296 all the way to 289, then south to 284 and get on 583. Bear is near 583.1E, Igloo is near the intersection of 583.1F / 583.1G. It's a pretty drive this time of year. Too rough for a car, any pickup is fine.

Awesome! More stuff to find on the next trip to the hills!
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Black Hawk on September 15, 2013, 11:55:58 AM
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography
Worlds largest cave

If anybody is interested in watching, here's the 45 minute NatGeo documentary on exploring the world's largest cave.

Black Hawk

Jim thanks for the info
The  Paha Sapa Grotto has not gotten back to me and might not have this info.
Thanks again for the leg work.
dick
Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

Bogus Jim

By coincidence we ran into the famous cave explorer Ian Reuter and his research assistant today, at one of the Black Hills caves. It was nice to meet you, Ian. 

Jim

Lonesome Dave

Well Jim and I had a great day.  We visited and/or found 5 different caves.  And, we met the world famous cave explorer Ian Reuter and his even skinnier assistant.  Actually, we met them while inside the Bear Trap cave.  We first went to Ice Cave, then to Bear Trap, Igloo, Jasper and finally Onyx cave.
Anyway, it was a great day.

First, let me just say, WOW, Bear Trap cave was awesome.  I'm not one to crawl under ground, but after crawling in and looking down the ladder, I had to go in.  We met a group of ATVer's outside of Bear Trap and some were already inside.  It was really neat in there.  You had to crawl backwards through the hole until your feet hit the ladder going down.  It was kinda tricky, but once you get your feet placed on the ladder and don't push it off the wall, you go down the wooden homemade ladder to the floor 10 feet below.  And then it goes down from there!  Oh, by the way, moto boots are not the best thing to crawl in slippery caves with.

Bear Trap

Its really dark in there!

Igloo Cave

Jasper Cave

Onyx Cave

Cave searching is serious business!

Older - Wiser - Faster !

tannerc

Very nice guys! looks like a great day of spelunking!
Could we get the gps cords to the other caves Jasper, Onyx, the ones not listed previously?
Awesome pics.. looks like you guys had a good time.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Cool! There's a few places I need to get to.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Yesterday the girls and I explored Beartrap and Igloo as completely as we could, Jessica fits in places I can't ::). I thought igloo was locked, but the gate is just a little sticky. The "igloo" inside is pretty neat. We then headed for Onyx (thanks for the info Jim), but apparently did not find it. I left the GPS in the truck and  hiked down to the apparent cave in the creekbed that you can see from the trail, but must have missed the actual cave? I guess we will have to go back and try again.
thanks for all the info!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Fletch on September 30, 2013, 07:57:44 AM
I left the GPS in the truck and  hiked down to the apparent cave in the creekbed that you can see from the trail, but must have missed the actual cave? I guess we will have to go back and try again.

I would like to go back to Onyx, maybe next summer. There are supposed to be 3 caves, we found only 1. But I don't think it was visible from the trail. By the time we found it and walked back to the bikes I think I made Dave walk about a mile, he was probably fed up with my navigation skills.  ;D

Lonesome Dave

Your nav skills were fine.  I was just glad you were there to get me out of the canyon before dark.  By the way, I think that little canyon might be called "wildcat" or something similar.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Wildcat canyon is in the Wind Cave / Lady C Ranch area..... I think.....

I was just thinking............ you people that live out there................ SUCK!
Just thought you should know.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?