News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Motorcycle motorcycle trailer

Started by jacin theis, April 11, 2011, 07:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Anyone know of or have a small trailer for sale? i am looking to set one up to haul the WR behind the GS to Moab. i am even looking for any parts to get me started. i have several ideas/plans and photos of similar trialers, but looking for something to start with. I really dont want to drive my pickup all the way there at over 4.00 for diesel, and cant decide which bike i need once there.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

jacin theis

1100 GS

hellneau

I have a small one you can buy or use for the week. It's been under snow all winter and needs some TLC. I put new tires on it last season (2010). tows like it's not there when loaded. bounces like h*ll when MT.

Lee Bruns

I'm in the middle of building a CB900C HOnda with a sidecar platform to haul a dirtbike or Canoe on. Much safer than a trailer.

jacin theis

hellneau, can you PM me a photo and price? i am curious what you have.

Lee is you rig like this??
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

Jacin,
I ran into a guy at a rest area in Nebraska a few years back that had that same type setup as in the first pick, think he was from Omaha. It was very cool and said he did lots of miles like that.

As a Kayaker, I love that one on the BMW. Very cool.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

that guy was on our site a few years ago when it was hosted on a different server.  don't think that he has been around here since then.

he had an xr650r that he towed to baja behind his goldwing.  what a sweet setup that was.

whatever you end  up doing make sure you get it done soon enough to put some miles on the setup.  moab is a long way with some great roads on the way that might get exciting if you aren't used to pulling some weight behind your bike.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Jacin, I have two trailers that would probably work for you.  If you want, you can just borrow one.  It might take a few mods to get it to work and be very light.  Give me a call.....381-7155.  dave
Older - Wiser - Faster !

agspecialties

Jacin
I ride with that guy all the time. The first picture you posted. That is Trl Rdr from ADV. He is my main riding buddy.
On a side note, your bmw is not big enough to pull your WR. It will be really hard on your trany. I have a BMW and tried it and boy, it didn't like that shit. 

jacin theis

NNNOOOOO!  say it isnt so!   OK, i am pushing the boundries, i know. Does a Goldwing really have a better tranny than a BMW GS? i realize wet clutch vs dry clutch, but are we talking tearing out gears and bearings? I assumed that being designed for Gelande that the GS would hold up. I really dont want to tear out a tranny and then load the GS behind the WR for the return trip!   (yes, i am kidding)  I will have to reconsider this whole idea, although the more people that tell me i can't do it, the more i really want to. :evil  No wonder my wife didnt tell me not to do this, she just smiled and nodded her head.  ::)
1100 GS

jacin theis

Great Buffalo, what kind of bike was the guy in Nebraska pulling with? i am worried a bit now, and going to do some reaserch on the towing capacity.  I bet the dealer will love to answer these questions!  This is good stuff.
1100 GS

agspecialties

In your first picture, Randy pulls his XRR with his Goldwing. The orange bike was a 1800 cc. He just bought a new goldwing last spring.
The biggest thing is the power and the bikes weight and wheel base. That goldwing is a 900 lb bike. My GSA is like 550 lb if i remember right.

greatbuffalo

Jacin it too was a Goldwing, He made the comment that that was the only bike he would use. The BMW are known, arguably, for having week final drives. I know some years and models were better then most, and there have been Tranny problems as well. Not sure I would pursue it either, but I like you, would be more persistent with accumulated doubt.  ;D

The Goldwings are a VERY well engineered machine designed for the very heavy long haul with trailers and the like. I ain't sure BMW put much thought into towing capacity when the "power's that be" said, make us a go any where bike. It was not designed by an agricultural implement firm but a firm with roots in aircraft engines and fast cars. I never saw the Red Baron or Sabine Schmitz pull a thing.....although it would entertaining.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

OK the GS gross weight limit is 990lbs. its wet weight is 535. I figure i have 50 lbs of bags and junk, i am 180. so i am at 765 lbs. leaving 225 of unused load capacity. the wr is 250, plus 100 for the trailer. I am 125 over load capacity of the GS. since i am not putting the weight on the bike but towing it, isnt it reasonable to think the 125 wont hurt the final drive as the load is on the trailer, not the bike? i cant see that 125 over will hurt the tranny. There are some, ah, bigger guys than me, who load down the bikes out there.   Just looking for input, not arguning. ok, maybe a little.  :evil
1100 GS

loingrader

Quote from: jacin theis on April 15, 2011, 08:18:00 AM
isnt it reasonable to think the 125 wont hurt the final drive

one way to find out my friend.  at least you will have a backup if the tranny grenades!

i also have a bit of inherent need to do things that people tell me are a bad idea.  stupid probably but i know how you are thinking...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro