Saturday August 6 Pre-Rally Exloration ride

Started by Sportfaller, August 02, 2011, 07:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportfaller

Ok all you dirt hounds! Who is interested in doing a little exploring in preparation for the fall rally? I was thinking about starting fairly early, say breakfast at the Slate Creek here in Hill City about 8, then ride out south west of Custer, hit the back trail up to bear mountain lookout, some of Jasper, Moon, just poke around some.

Who is in?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

Man, I'd love to, but I'm spending Saturday getting ready for camping - leaving Sunday for a week in Yellowstone. 

Find us some good trails for the fall rally!  :cheers
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

I'm in! Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday.

I was down early last Sunday, before it got too hot, and rode the trails just west of the KOA. There's one that gets a bit Pilot-Knobish, I think it was 6822. Not sure the trail is tough enough for loingrader to get his early morning adrenaline rush at the rally, but it had enough rocks to get me up on the foot pegs and off the seat.   ;)

loingrader

Hey, beggers can't be choosy.  May have to give that one a shot.  Thanks for the recon BogusJim!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

waiting on a radiator from germany. I could be in. I'll post up for sure by friday.

Sportfaller

I'm still running pre-crashed crash bars and broken plastics, but the parts should be in this week, maybe friday night will be a late night wrench session so I can ding up the new tupperware!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

That sounds like fun but I'll be heading in the other direction to testride a new Triumph Tiger 800 XC.   ;D ;D ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

i will try to make it. Sounds like a great time!  We can make up for the lost ride time hjome from Utah.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

awesome! that makes three, plus maybe my old man.  we could do the "scenic" route to custer then do my southern hills loop? or whatever... I JUST WANNA RIDE!

BTW, being able to overlay the USFS travel map on google earth pretty much kicks A. I'm going to try dropping the files into the GPS tonight.
Josh

Bogus Jim

I'd vote for riding the southern hills loop... Gerry, Dave, and I all gave it two thumbs up. And if we ride the loop then we've got to ride trail 3100, which is nearby - fun double track trail. There's one short hill climb that might be tough for bigger bikes but it's sandy, not rocky, so no damage if you drop it.

Custer weather forecast Saturday is high of 73 degrees... perfect riding weather. If there are any locals sitting on the fence, try to make this ride, it should be a fun day. hellneau, Lonesome Dave?

NDave

Bogus Jim is a excellent guide        However if you run N to S  don't allow him to look back at the signs on the outside of the gate when you get to the county road         Seeyou guys in Sept

Lonesome Dave

You bet, I'm in, especially if were riding the southern loop.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Sportfaller

Ok, so sounds like we have a good group! Is everyone ok with meeting in Hill City? or do we want to arrange some place else? I'm flexible!
Josh

plumber mike

I hope it's ok. I cross posted this thread on ADV. There are some dual sporters coming in from other areas that were looking to ride dirt.

I'll see Rich(Hellneau) today and ask him.

I hope my radiator comes. Hill City and Custer are a long way from home on a 1975 XL250 ;D

Bogus Jim

Meeting at Hill City is fine with me. Slate Creek Grille, 8:00 am?