Motorcycle Tour of India,Alaska,Africa , south america etc

Started by flexlarson, November 01, 2008, 03:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flexlarson

www.motoquesttours.com 

Check out the above mentioned site. They have some wonderful looking tours. A guy I know named LArry Davis from Mn is doing a trip in Jan to  (thailand area) with this group. Take a look at the India trip listed on the site. Looks like something very unique.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

LittleJacket

Seriously-that has got to be the coolest job on the face of the planet.  He looks like he has his own monopoly and one of us needs to give him competition.  One of us really needs to put together a viable business plan and make a lifestyle change.  Great find Brian!
rpjohnso

loingrader

if anyone wanted to do some riding in africa, i've got some connections there.  my dad sends a container (semi trailer sized) of stuff (tractors, bibles, text books, building supplies, soccer balls, blankets, etc.) to zambia at least once a year, and makes the trip there every january.

we're sending that ttr225 over there in dec on the next container, for a pastor's kid to use for transportation. 

i'd like to have 3 or 4 bikes over there for our pastor/missionary/african guy and his people to use, that would be available if i wanted to head down to capetown, or up to egypt or something. 

for a great book pick up "the only road north" by erik mirandette.

3 guys ship 3 klr's to africa and ride from south africa to egypt.  great story, with a crazy ending, especially since it is all true. 

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

"2 wheels thru terror" by striking viking over at advrider.com is another great read about a man with a plan on a klr.  the book is about his trip to south america and back.

fyi, his ride reports over on advrider.com are amazing, great pictures, and very long.  the one about his trip around the globe is still taking place i think. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I've yet to read Two wheels through Terror, but it's on my short list.

I recently read "The Road Gets Better from Here" by Adrian Scott.  This is excellent; an account of his ride from Siberia west across Asia and into Europe.    He did it on a KLR, didn't even really know how to ride when he started and had barely a clue what a wrench was.   Great story and well written.   I've sent some PMs back and forth with Adrian over at KLR650.net - seems like a nice guy.

I also read "Lois on the Loose" by Lois Pryce.  She rode an XT225 (!!!) from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego by herself (!!!).  Also quite the adventure.  She's either very brave or stupid as a female riding solo through some pretty tough places, especially central America.  A good book, but not as good as "The Road Gets Better from Here".

fringefan

Two wheels through terror is a good read and I think flex has a copy.