Call me a slow learner, or Rear brakes rocks!

Started by The Yeti, November 02, 2008, 10:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Had another epiphany today.

Went out for a small (80 miles or so) fire road run today. I'm always trying to improve my riding (so I can impress you guys at the next rally  ;D ), so I tried using the rear brake more than I have before.

Now, I'm sure those of you who have previous dirt bike experience know what I'm talking about: the rear brake ROCKS in the dirt!  I have NO dirt bike experience, but have read of the Holy Grail of "learning to finesse the rear brake". I finally found out what that means today.

I was kickin' the rear out diving into turns, learning more about when and where the rear will lock, and just generally really enjoying myself.  ;D

I've always written off the rear brake as not too effective in the dirt...boy, was I wrong!!  Really good stuff.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

yea buddy.  lots different from pavement. 

rear brakes are about all i use in the dirt.

front brakes are about all i use on the street.

it's fun applying new techniques and having them work so damn well isn't it.

like a big light bulb coming on.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

I can tell I was riding different because today the muscles in my right calf/shin are sore from working that back brake so much.  :D

Most of the time I used to use the rear brake off-road was just in the really loose stuff, and of course in those conditions, it's REAL easy to lock the rear, that's why I kind of discounted the effectivness of it. But, under better conditions (i.e. hardpack, dirt and small loose gravel), the rear brake is a God Send! I just love locking the rear at a tight apex and whipping the rear around with a little lock/slide/throttle! Makes me grin everytime!  ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"