News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Anyone add new camping equipment?

Started by vatrader01, November 16, 2008, 05:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vatrader01

Well, the camp out season is about done for [at least for me, my idea of roughing it is staying in a motel that does not have cable or satellite TV. Freezing is out of the question. I ain't that hard core]. Anyone pick up any new / improved equipment over the course of this past camp season? Best place to learn about what is compact, functional and affordable is from each other....the ones who find and use it. Anyone up for a thread for camp equipment, photos in use, places to buy? The big ticket items are pretty well in place for me. The tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag. Chair, little table. I'm always looking to downsize the load and still have some comfort. Ways to make everything I pack multifunctional. If there is any interest, I'll post up some info and pic's of a few things I gathered over the summer, like a stove /cookware setup that is Swedish MilSurp and CHEAP. And functional. I came across a collapsible camp saw that cuts firewood, a blade for metal and uh, bone. Hopefully never one of mine. I think my days of waking up and needing to chew off my arm to slither home undetected are behind me. I have worked out a simpler means of light, thanks to LED lighting. Just a few things that came to mind today while thinking back on the passing year. Anyone want to kick around some info, maybe breathe a little more life into the site?   

The Yeti

I've bought a real cheap ($24 on Amazon) Wenzel tent, a Sam's Club sleeping pad and a Wal-Mart sleeping bag last season (was my first time bike campin'  ;D)...don't like any of 'em!

Tent: The fabric around the peak grommet ripped on first use. No fly - had a ton of condensation on the inside of the tent in pretty mild temps (@ 50f), every time I touched the inside of the tent, I got wet.  >:( My next tent WILL have a fly! If anyone has a semi-cheap tent to suggest, let me know.

Pad: Doesn't hold air. No matter how much air I blow in to it, I still bottom out on the ground. Gonna get an REI pad for next time.

Bag: Fabric around zipper ripped on first use. Only good to around 55f.

Lessons learned: You get what you pay for; buy what you really want first time around...you're just gonna waste money in the long run.

Obviously, you're way ahead of me...I'm still trying to work out the basics.   :-\

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

flexlarson

Hey how are you.
Yetti it is true you get what you pay for sometimes.
I have lots of gear and have camped in remote areas with crap. It's not fun especially when the weather turns on you.
What I carry depends on how long I'll be out and what the area will be like, and time of year.

Sleeping pad: I have two of them that I use and two others I let others use.
Well I have a very small and lightweight thermarest backpacker's pad that will insulate you from the ground and takes up almost no space. However u doesn't get much comfort.
I use it when traveling long distances and I know I'll be in places I can make a soft place to sleep, Pine needles, dirt etc.
I also have the REI BIG Comfort sleeping pad 3.5 inches thick (hotel quality). I have carried it on the bike but it does take up lots of room. I love it though and it's hard to leave home without it.

GET A GOOD BRAND PAD: THERMAREST or REI

Sleeping bag: I have a few. Most of my bags I've picked up along the way. No special ones. I have a real light EMS bag for summer and a MARLBORO (YES the Cig maker) EUREKA bag that I use in winter. It's a synthetic bag. Good to about 10 degrees with clothes on.
Ill sometimes double up with a smaller summer bag inside of a winter bag if it's really cold. (kinda like the Military sleep system)
I always carry a sponge bob throw (made from the finest materials) to aid in warming my mind and soul.

A good down bag is worth its weight in gold but if it gets wet it will make you wish you had synthetic.

Cooking gear: OH I love the Coleman Peak series burners. http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/stoves/coleman_peak_1_x-pert.php

They burn hot and boil water fast but they can be a hassle to get fuel for. I had a double burner expedition model for over 8 yrs before it sprang a leak and shot flames all over .
I like the MSR stoves multi fuel stoves (Small and light) I have one and have been using it ever since my Coleman retired itself. Nice because it runs on white gas,diesel, regular gas,kerosene etc.

TENTS:
I have a few of them. Solo riding I have a real nice Single person one pole Coleman (Cobra I think that's it) that packs really small. It has a rain fly but lacks much structural integrity. The more poles you have the better it will stand up to high winds.

I have a real big mountain hardware tent that is a true all year tent but it weighs a ton.
I've had great luck with the Coleman peak 1 Aries 2 three person tent. I've used it for two years now and its held up to some really high winds, snow, rain and sleet without a leak or a tear. Good construction sets up fast and is inexpensive. Room for two easy.

You might want to talk to Chad about tents. He's a GURU

My stuff is all relatively inexpensive and light. I'm hard on stuff camp in crappy places, loose things frequently so it all works out.

THINGS I THINK ARE GREAT and should always go camping with you.  8)
BACKWOODS HONEY BERRY CIGARS and RUM
# 1:  REI sleeping pad with chair kit. (LOVE it) for Jeep camping.
#2: GERBER Camp AX Middle sized one (great self defense weapon)
#3. Coleman Peak 1 stove

Id like to try out the following items:

Jetboil stove kit. Looks simple fast and handy for Solo camping
Garmin 60CSX GPS
Military gortex modular  Sleeping bag system (I think its three bag system)
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

loingrader

Exped makes some nice sleeping pads too.  I've got an Exped synmat long that i love. 

For bags i've got a north face and a euraka.  both synthetic mummy bags, both good down to about 20 degrees f.  any colder and i'll wear under-armour to keep warm.

i use my alaska leather seat pad as a pillow, which works great. 

I have a couple of coleman tents.  If i'm sleeping solo i pack my 2 man tent.  if i'm sleeping double, i bring the 3 man tent.  i like having room to keep all my extra motorcycle/camping stuff inside my tent while i'm sleeping in case it is raining etc. outside. 

i've got the gerber camp axe with the saw in the handle which is slick.

i'd like to get a kermit chair, but can't justify it yet.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

flexlarson

One tool that I picked up that I think is kinda cool is the GERBER folding SAW. It comes in a nice case and has three different blades. It folds down small. I keep one under the hood of my jeep.

Another cool tool I picked up is a Pocket Chainsaw. Works great. One can be seen in action on YETI's U tube Video .
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

fringefan

Love talkin camping. Yeti, if your in need of a anther tent I have a sierra designs tent that is big enough for 2 or a yeti and a couple midgets depending on thickness ;D and I will sell it for $75 or trade for who knows what. I have like 5-6 tents and mostly take a swiss gear single wall tent on the bike which is actually a good tent and extremly small but I would not invite any one in with me unless they really want to cuddle. Love the colman stoves and I have 2 msr stoves which are a wisper light and a butane. I love the butane stoves because they are ligth, easy to light, and have better flame adjustment with no priming. MSR and I think Primus make a stove and a lantern that screw on top of the actual fuel bottles and they are very small and light weight. Biggest downfall to the butane stoves are they freeze up in cold weather.

Like Brian I want one of the military gortex bag systems that when combined can actually cover you to -30. I have  a marmont down bag that is a 0degree bag and I have used it into the 20 degree range and slept like a rock. I also have a north face cats meow that is a synthetic bag good to 30 degrees. Not sure if it is still the case but there is no standardized rating system for bags and some bags will keep you warm and snug at 20 degrees while others are warm enough to prevent certain death but you wont sleep. I like brian will not camp without my thermarest luxury that has provided me a nice place to pass out next to the fire on multiple trips. I don't care about the size because even thougt it is a little longer and weighs a little more it does not take up enough room for me to go with that little sucker I bought 13 years ago.

My camping list includes
Headlamp- love them
tent or hammock
bag 0 degree in spring and fall and 30 in the summer or if it will be really wet.
therma rest and a stove.
knife and I also have a Gerber hatchet which I love
Food, amazes me how many people can't cook any thing but marshmellows and hotdogs when they camp. Rum. 

Get decent gear so your not looking for your tent when the wind picks up and people drop a grand on a matress for a reason so get a pad and decent bag so you dont freeze. I like practical, easy to use, and durable which also means easy to maintain.

The Yeti

QuoteYeti, if your in need of a anther tent I have a sierra designs tent that is big enough for 2 or a yeti and a couple midgets depending on thickness  and I will sell it for $75 or trade for who knows what.

Thanks for the offer!

Can you tell me what model it is, how old it is, what kinda shape it's in?

QuoteOne tool that I picked up that I think is kinda cool is the GERBER folding SAW. It comes in a nice case and has three different blades. It folds down small. I keep one under the hood of my jeep.

Another cool tool I picked up is a Pocket Chainsaw. Works great. One can be seen in action on YETI's U tube Video .

I really coulda used something like that when I got blocked by trees on The 429! Which tool would be better for clearing stuff like that when I'm alone, the folding saw or the pocket chainsaw?? I like the thought of the chainsaw, just because it's sooo small and easy to carry on the bike. I suppose the folding saw wouldn't take up a whole lot of room either by the looks of it. The folding saw looks like it might be easier to use alone.

You guys are obviously light-years ahead of me in the camping department! Last September was the first time I've camped in about 10 years!! Before that, the wife and I used to camp a couple of times every summer, but stayed in the hills, never ventured very far.  We ended up with soooo much gear, it got to be a huge undertaking just to go out for the weekend...then we just kinda got out of it.

One thing I'd really like to do maybe sometime next year, is take a week-or-so-long SOLO bike camping trip. I'm obviously gonna need to get at least a stove or JetBoil for that so I can feed myself. I think it would be a great experience!

Lotsa great info in this thread, keep it coming!!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

revin kevin

Here's my basic setup for camping gear, Nice 2 man tent w/ rain fly, plenty of ventilation when needed,  on those warm summer nights I can lay back and watch the stars without bugs buzzing me, or close it all up and stay warm and dry on the stormy nights - three poles I think so it takes the wind well. A small 6 ft tarp for a ground cover and a second to for a makeshift vestibule. Personally I use the cheap blow up air mattress like for a swiming pool, cheap and they pack small and do a decent job of keeping my fat ass off the ground, "advantage ? throw away, and if it rains real hard I'll float." For  a sleeping bag just a Walmart special nothing fancy but it works in fair weather and if it gets cold I just put some more clothes on, if I'm in a campground and its real cold a few quarters in the clothes dryer warms up the bag and gets you to sleep, just watchout for the hot zipper. For a stove I've got a Coleman duel fuel single burner that works great, bonus? just use the gas out of my KLR. Mini Mag lite,first aid kit, Cold Steel SRK, Gerber folding saw, bic lighter, a coil of rope,boy scout mess kit,  and my ever handy Benchmade folder gets it done for me. All of this except for the sleeping bag and tent fits in one of my merrimites with room to spare.

loingrader

i've got 3 mermite cans that i picked up for a song for my klr.  haven't needed to mount them up yet.  before i head to alaska (someday) 2 of them will be on the bike. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

revin kevin

I made my own mounts for them, wasn't to tuff. I left the liners / insulation in them, never know when ya might be on a survival mission and have ta keep a couple of cases of beer on ice with ya.

joedaddy

I have the military sleeping bag system that uncle sam was nice enough to give me before going to the sandbox a few years ago.  It is worth it's weight in gold, although the cold weather bag is obviously heavy/bulky they also have a outer covering that you can use as a bivy sac which i have done and can honestly tell you not to do it unless you just don't have a tent.  used a single burner mutli fuel camp stove this summer on the two week trip to Yellowstone which worked fine.  If by myself I usually carry MRE's simply because they have a lot of calories and the warmers can be used for your hands and feet if it gets really cold.  I have the gerber hatchet with the knife in that rides in the handle which also works well for me and fits in my bags easily.  Have one of those little blow up camping pillows in the fleece liner which is amazing and a rei pad.  and a H&K 40. that stays with me by permit.  I would really like to find a good tent to use as my tent i have now is way to bulky/heavy for riding.  oh yeah and i have a military mess set that folds down and is aluminum?? Maybe either way it also works well.

sdguy

Having camped for a number of years before buying a KLR I have been upgrading my camping gear over the years.  There is some definite truth in the saying you get what you pay for.  The nice thing about camping with the motorcycle weight is not quit as big of factor as humping it in on your back. 

The one piece of gear that I have and love is my Jetboil.  It is a simple system where the burner fasten to the fuel canister and the mug fastens to the burner.  It is basically for heating water for rehydration.  It boils water very quickly.  Combine this with some dehydrated meals and it makes for a simple lightweight system great for day or weekend trips.  To fight the cost of the expensive dehydrated meals I make a lot of my own.  There is a great book called Lipsmackin' Backpackin'.  It is filled with great recipes, plus also breaks it down on what to prep at home and what to do on the trail.

As far as tents go I am in the process of selecting a new one to replace my current one person tent.  The current one I have is a MSR Zoid.  I only have two issues with it, it is very small, and is not free standing.  It can be much easier and quicker to pitch freestanding tents.  Some of the new models even allow for the frame and rainfly to be used independently for those nights when there is no chance of rain.  Some also allow the rainfly to be setup first and the tent setup underneither it keeping your tent dry if it raining while you are pitching it.

When it comes to sleeping bags, make sure you do some research in regards to the temperature rating, don't necessarily believe what the manufacture says.  Both Backpacker magazine and Outside magazine do a good job of review camping gear.  One item that is often overlooked on sleeping bags are the zippers.

Another item that is good to have is a compression stuff sack for your sleeping back.  There a number of companies that are now making waterproof ones.  I would highly recommend these.  Sucks to have a wet sleeping bag from the start.

This is just part of the basic load I take.  I also carry sleeping pad and a water filter with a couple of bottles.

NorShor

+1 on the Jetboil. Best item I have purchased in years - get an extra container and the coffee press, works great. Another item for me is a portable shower, packs down small, solar heated, and nothing beats a hot shower at the end of a dirty dusty day. My fully loaded battle scooter contains 1 saddle bag for clothes, one for food, tent/sleeping bag/thermarest on the backrest, tank bag with a Camelback bladder for on the go hydration.
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Dratharr

I have to agree with the Jet Boil, I broke down and bought one last year it is the best single piece of bike/camping gear I have ever bought. The coffee press works great, and it is nice not having to wait forever to get the water to boil. I also like to pack light, last year I went a different route on the sleeping bag, I bought a Kelty +40 rectangular back packing bag I cant remember the model but it packs down to the size of a football, and I bought a surf to summit liner for the bag, both items together weigh much less than the 2O degree bag they replaced and the combination of the two has me coverd for any summertime weather extremes I might run into in the hills. But the biggest bonus is the rectangular bag is soo much more comfortable than my old mummy bag. I also like to pack along a hammock it is really nice to have along to get  off the ground, and it takes up very little space. Funny story last summer one of my co-workers decided her and her boyfriend wanted to go camping in the hills, I let her in on one of my favorite no-fee camping spots that requires a small hike back in the bush. It was dark out and they had decided to turn in for the night and she was outside the tent bushing her teeth with her headlight on. When she looked up there where two eyes staring her right in the face. She ran back to the tent and her boy friend put his lamp on and they both went out to see what it was. It was a BIG CAT! They yelled at it and did everything they could to try to scare it away but it wouldnt budge. So they just took off toward the car, left everything behind and hightailed it out of there. They came back the next day to retrieve thier equipment, too say they were shook up is an understatement!
  :o