News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Twisted Throttle Crash Bars

Started by joedaddy, November 20, 2008, 07:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joedaddy

I thought I would post some info on my crash bars that I purchased on twisted throttle in June.  dropped the bike on it's left side one time at a standstill and 1. the bars cracked 2. the bolt that inserts at the top of the bars under the seat that replace the subframe bolt sheared off.  Cost to get this fixed/drilled out $215.00  Company says it's normal wear and tear so no new bars or replacement bolt for me.  Besides being a pain in the rear to install they also suck.  But, on the bright side the cheaply made plastic fairing didn't die.  :-\

fringefan

Wow that bows a**. Dropping it once as normal wear and tear should qualify as disposible.

The Yeti

Not a KLR, but, as the other guys can attest, my crash bars were worth every penny!   ;D

Seriously, though...that sucks a**.   >:(
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

2 words.

IMS tank.

(is IMS a word?)

i've yet to see a pair of klr crash bars that don't eventually break when the bike goes down.  the ims tank will protect the radiator, will not put any extra stress on subframe bolts or footpeg bolts, and it will hold an extra gallon of fuel (at least) over stock.  plus they just look sick.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

joedaddy

can you get an IMS tank for the 08 models?  Glad your Bars held up better than mine yetti!

LittleJacket

I can attest to the twisted throttle crash bars sucking.  Mine are currently broken, cracked, and mangled.  I like the IMS option and might make it my goal for '09 purchases.  I had the same issue with the subframe bolt sheering, and It took me 2 days to drill through.  I don't know if they make and IMS for the '08 or not.  Let us know what you find out.  The guys at KLRworld.com should know.  Ryan
rpjohnso

The Yeti

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on November 22, 2008, 09:38:57 PM
You guys just need to get KTMs!

yea because since the KTM's spend SO much time on their sides, the aftermarket has developed some bomb proof crash bars.

we just need someone to build some KTM spec crash bars for our venerable KLR's.

(i've got to give you crap about your amazing bike whenever i can yeti)
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro