Dual Sport '08 Christmas Gifts Brag Blog

Started by LittleJacket, December 23, 2008, 10:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleJacket

Here's your chance to "brag" about your 2008 Dual Sport Christmas gifts.  Tell us how your wife, special lady, friends or family members are the best because they got you that heated suit or ims tank or a new riding T-shirt.  Or...tell us what you bought for yourself because they just might not "get" the dual sport thing!  This ought to be fun!!!   
rpjohnso

The Yeti

Well, the wife and I stopped exchanging gifts quite a few years ago, but I bought myself a new set of tires this week (D606f/D908r)!!   8)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Yeti, back to the 606 on the front?   You like that one better, eh?   I'm do for a new front so some advice would be great.

I bought myself a pair of olympia airglide 2 pants, per the wife's instructions.   I got her an ipod touch (shhhh) which I plan to steal and take on the next trip :)

Since this is so cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Round-Deluxe-Down-Dakar/dp/B001J2SFSC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230143869&sr=8-1

I bought myself that and got a copy for crizzay as well (don't read this chris).

LittleJacket

After spending hundreds of dollars on the wife, parents, sister and family, and wifes family, I decided put my gift on hold until spring-which will be an IMS tank, hand guards, and tall windshield.  I'm pretty excited!
rpjohnso

flexlarson

I just ordered the Garmin 60 CSX as my present to myself. :)   Allen call me I need something from you. :) Something to help me navigate to remote areas,
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

loingrader

i'm sold on those ims tanks.  they are the only way to go if you ask me.  great radiator protection, and you will have an extra gallon of gas for your smile maker carb to burn before leavin you on the side of the road!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dratharr

+1 on the IMS tank, it works great in all respects, mine has been down more than I care to admit with no damage to the radiator at all. Another bonus is when you do drop it the MX style vent with the tubing coming out of the gas cap drains out below the seat away from all the hot parts, my stock tank would always leak out the cap when the bike was takin a nap!

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on December 24, 2008, 12:39:05 PM
Yeti, back to the 606 on the front?   You like that one better, eh?   I'm do for a new front so some advice would be great.

I'm actually not sure which is better, yet.  The first 606 I had on front seemed to wear very strangely (which I have since found is pretty normal, according to posts on ADV), and didn't last very long, but seemed to work better in mud.  The 908 I have on the front now seems to be a pretty good tire all-around, with maybe a bit worse mud performance, but seems to be lasting longer than the 606.

Since I made such drastic suspension adjustments recently, just thought I'd try the 606 again, since the 606f/908r combo seems to be the favorite combo on OC...

Think I'm gonna put my stock Scorpion back on now until I wear out the 908f I have on and save my brand new tires for the rally in June.  ;D

Jud

Quote from: The Yeti on December 29, 2008, 10:34:47 AM
Since I made such drastic suspension adjustments recently, just thought I'd try the 606 again, since the 606f/908r combo seems to be the favorite combo on OC...

Hmm, I tried it just the other way around on my DR (606r/908f) and I was not wild about the 908 on the front. Is it supposed to outlast the 606 on the rear?

The Yeti

Quote from: Jud on December 31, 2008, 01:39:15 PM
Quote from: The Yeti on December 29, 2008, 10:34:47 AM

Hmm, I tried it just the other way around on my DR (606r/908f) and I was not wild about the 908 on the front. Is it supposed to outlast the 606 on the rear?

Well, the recommendations I eluded to in OC (Orange Crush on ADVrider) are specifically for my big KTM nine-fiddy, soooo I can't tell you what they would behave like on any other bike....I do know that I like the 606 on front better than the 908 for riding on pavement, slightly better behaved. But the best offroad performance is what I'm after.  ;D

In my experience, front tires generally last me about twice as long as rear tires no matter what the combo.  :evil