News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Old Iron?

Started by torgo, November 20, 2011, 10:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

So who is riding old iron? How does it hold up against the new stuff? 

I keep looking at the new models and some more capable bikes than what I have.

I would love to get the latest KTM or BMW, Triumph, etc... but with the economy in the dumps and uncertain job market that ain't happening.   :-\

Current stable is 82 KZ440 (Gravel Road version)- with Shinko 705 tires and some Fly CR High Bend bars with hand guards; 84 XR500R totally stock, except for motor work and plated; 93 KDX200 with FMF silencer and plated, and my birthday present to me my 09 KLR650 farkled to nearly the max.

Obviously none of these are cutting edge technology, but I don't plan on competing in anything more than a Dual Sport Ride.  Really my needs run to street legal dirt bikes I can take to Moab, or Mexico, AZ, or the TAT.

SO my question is, who is riding the old iron? 

Where have you ridden it and how did it work out? 

Except for mechanical break downs (any age bike can break) did the old iron detract from the ride?
:cheers
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hank

My iron is semi-old - a '97 Blackbird, a '92 TDM, and then the one exception, my '06 DRZ (which ain't exactly brand new any more).  My blackbird is pretty heavily updated, but even those updates are relatively old.

Personally I don't think I'd have any more fun if they were brand new, but I'd be a lot poorer and I'd be way more worried about scratching them!

I have fond memories of a KE125 I bought for the princely sum of $15 from the boneyard at Sheehan's when I was about 16 years old.  The bike was a 76 or so model and I purchased it around '86.  It started on two kicks, and I put nothing but oil and gas into it for about 3 years.  I couldn't kill that thing despite a heroic effort.

greatbuffalo

My old iron is a 82 Yamaha XJ 650. Its a little short in the leg for me so I've donated it to my son who is in the Power Sports program at Mitchell Tech. He's going to use it as his project and hopefully do something cool with it. I'm trying to convince him to make a gravel runner out of it but knowing him it will morph into a bobber.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

I'm not riding old iron currently, but this thread does bring back some memories. I think I had just as much fun on the old bikes as I do on the new ones.

The first motorcycle I ever rode was a Honda CT90. I was about 10 years old... it was all I could do to pick that thing up so I tried not to drop it. When I was 11, I broke the forks in half doing wheelies. Dad was not happy about that, but he was able to weld the forks together again.

Like Jason, I had a KE125. I think mine was a '79. I paid a little more than $15, though.  ;)  The chain popped off once and cut one of the ignition wires. In 5 years, that is the only time the bike left me stranded. Notice the cool rear suspension.

I'd bet more than a few of us rode the Honda 3-wheelers. That probably qualifies as old iron. Look how much fun she's having!

That photo is from a Honda ad. I tried to duplicate the shot once... here's my little brother, on a slightly newer 3-wheeler. He was in high school at the time.

In college I had a 500 Interceptor. Bought it for $1200, rode it for 2-3 years, and sold it for $1500. I think it was a '84 or '85.

Riding home once, in Dallas rush hour traffic, four lanes of solid cars, 65-70 mph, light rain, a car beside me fishtailed and slammed in the concrete divider. The car flipped and hit two others, vehicles were sliding everywhere. I split a lane and got past the carnage, but I consider it a small miracle that I did not go down and get crushed by the onslaught of vehicles behind me. That put quite a scare in me. I sold the bike and stopped riding for about 20 years.

This is my current bike, wr250r. I do appreciate the advances in suspension, brakes, and the fuel injection, but I still think I had just as much fun on that old KE125.

jacin theis

I am currently negotiating on a 97 Honda XR200. Anyone have any thoughts on those?  Getting rid of a TTRLE 125 that my wife outgrew. I am a littel concerned about not having the electric start, but it seems like a more capable trail bike. Plus i can liscense it for a loaner or spare for myself. I love the aircooled simplicity.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

Nice "mini-ceptor" you had there.

Last January I bought a pair of 83 750 Interceptors.   Both low miles, in great shape, but non-running.   They were 13 serial numbers apart, which I thought was cool.

I'd rate one as a 9.5/10 in condition, had 8800 miles on it. 

Here it is all cleaned up and running.

The second was an 8/10 in condition, with 11.5K miles on it.

Here that one was, once fixed up and running:

I bought the pair super cheap, got them going and sold them.   Like always it took about 2X the money I expected to get them going, but I at least came out with a couple extra bucks at the end.

Great nostalgia riding them, but it took about 50 miles for me to realize they were really crappy bikes by even a late 80's standard.   My Gen 2 (86) VFR was 5X the bike in every way.

greatbuffalo

Those Interceptors are the Bomb!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dr Psyko

Love the "Captain America" helmet!!!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

They really both were incredibly nice for the age.. especially the first one.  Darn near museum quality.

I got really good at yanking V4 carbs last spring :)
I think the last time I had them out and apart 20 minutes after turning off the key.

This reminds me I need a new winter project.