News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

ND Newbie

Started by Rudyy, February 22, 2009, 11:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudyy

Hi guys. Reporting in on the new site. I registered about 10 min ago. I like reading about other dual sport riders and what they're up to. I'm from a small town NW of Bismarck. I've been riding bikes for about 15 years now. Just got into dual sporting 3 years ago. I have a 2007 KLR  that has brought me great joy and intense rage, but mostly joy. I've put 20,000 miles on her in 2 years and overall it's been fun. I'm a shift worker at a power plant and I take  a 3 week stretch off every summer to take one major trip. I camp about 90 percent of the time, get rooms when it rains.
I'm not much into group riding, it's kind of a personal thing with me but I like talking to people on the road. You meet a lot of interesting people riding a lot of interesting bikes. So that's it about me. Everyone have a fun, safe 2009 riding season. ATGATT! Any AK questions, mail me. I've made 3 trips. One on the Star, 2 on the KLR. Rode the Dalton to Deadhorse in 07, 80% of the Dempster in 08. #@&%#$ RAIN! I'm trying again this year. I'll get to Inuvik or die trying. 

loingrader

welcome.  i'm sure that there are more than a few of us on this site that are jealous of your alaska trips.  i too will make it to the artic ocean someday.

normally i don't like riding in big groups either, but i sure have had a blast the last 2 trips i've made out to the hills for some riding with the DDSR group.  the extra security of knowing someone can haul your butt out of there if you break a leg or something is nice. 

15 guys riding in a group to deadhorse would be a different story entirely.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Crazy Uncle Larry

Hey Rudyy!!!

Great to have you sign in!

I'm not jealous of your trips to Alaska,nope, no sirree, no way, no how! What I'm envious of is your ability to get 3-WEEKS off to take a trip in the first place!!!!!!! Good on you! Good luck on your trip and remember to shoot some photos back here so the rest of us can live vicariously through your travels.

My youngest son got to spend some time on the North slope a couple of summers ago. He was working for a firm out of Wyoming that had a process for determining how much oil still remains underground. He enjoyed his time there and got to see some great sights. I spent two years up at Anchorage back in 1972-74, courtesy of Uncle Sam's Air Force. The north country sure does pull at you, once it gets in your veins!!!

I also understand your thoughts about group riding. I think several of us get into the routine of being the "Lone Ranger" in many aspects of our life and it just carries over into the other things that we do. Doesn't mean we wouldn't pull over to help anyone in a fix no matter the number of wheels under them, it's just the way we "roll" and who we are. I prefer to think of us as pathfinders, trail blazers, scouts, and on point for others. Anyhow, great to have you check in. Be looking forward to your comments in the future. Safe riding!
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto