News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

NEWBIE FROM IOWA

Started by torgo, December 05, 2010, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

Hello all,

I am a newbie from Mapleton, Iowa.  I just got back into riding in the dirt after giving it up for 15years.  I have always have had street bikes.  I am really into the older bikes, my NEWEST machine is an1984 XR500R that I am rebuilding from the frame up.   I work in Alaska as an electrical field engineer and travel a lot.  I have a good friend Alaska who wants to ride the TAT in the summer of 2012, so that is the plan now.  I have family that lives in the Black Hills so I get out their at least once a year.  From now on I am going to start taking my XR with me to explore the Hills.  I spent a couple of years in SDSM&T and used my 79 Datsun pickup to run the fire roads and I want to re-explore the area.  I finally got a GPS (DeLorme) and am looking for some good tracks of the Black Hills and the entire Mid-West.

Thanks  ;D

Travis
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hank

Hi Travis,

Welcome to the site.   
So you live in IA but work in AK?   How does that work?  It sounds interesting.  Do you get to do any dual sporting in AK?

Hope to see you on the trail!

loingrader

Welcome to the site,

Those old XR's are great bikes and it sounds like you have some great places to ride it.

If you want to find trails in the hills there are many locals on this site that would love to show you around.

-Bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

torgo

Actually I am doing the Dust t2 Dawson Run with a friend of mine from Wasilla, AK.  Check it out on AdvRider.

torgo

Some pictures of the Dust 2 Dawson Run last week.  What a great time.

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/onemadelect/

I was just wondering if there will be a fall rally for the Dakota Dual Sport Riders?  I am trying to get in some rides before winter.

loingrader

i'm betting on it.  some may head to moab or baja but i think there will still be a bunch that stays in the hills for the sept rally. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

I'm down for the fall rally in the Black Hills.  I would say maybe some place different (Nemo?) where you can build bigger fires.  It will be colder by then. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

The Yeti

Yes, there will definitely be a fall DDSR rally. Location yet to be determined. Third weekend in September, Thu - Sun (15-18) We stayed at Nemo Guest Ranch last fall and had a good time. Could just plan on that again this year if everyone is in agreement.  I'll start a planning thread soon.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"