News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Killpecker Dunes

Started by greatbuffalo, January 20, 2013, 10:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

I've got an itch to ride some serious sand this year.

Anyone been out to Killpecker Sand Dunes in Wyoming and is anyone interested in a possible scoot out there some time this year?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

grubbie

Lots of room for riding in the sand there, it is out in the middle of nowhere. Im not a big fan of deep sand on a bike, but there is a LOT of good riding and scenery in that area. I used to live there. Lots of public land. Flaming Gorge has a lot of good trails as well. Im going to try to get down there this year for some camping/riding/fishing....it's been too long since Ive done that.

Osnabrock

I was out there on my bike a few years ago.  It was part of a bigger trip over Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton.
I got caught in a rainstorm on the South side of the Wind River Range and Gannet Peak while heading to the National Forest campground near Big Sandy.  East of Pinedale, it was all ranch road and boy was it sloppy and slick.  It wasn't a place to be alone.
I don't have any pictures of the dunes but here are a few of attractions I came across.
I can suggest some good maps to take with you that show a lot of the areas that the normal maps seem to gloss over.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."