News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Greetings from Central Minnesota

Started by jakhack, February 21, 2013, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakhack

I joined because I am interested in riding the gravel and forest roads in the Black Hills.  My wife and I spent 8 days riding our street bikes there last fall and we had a blast.  We even stumbled across the 2012 Motorcycle Cannonball in Sturgis when they rode through.  What a thrill that was!  But we were only riding road bikes, and did not get off the pavement.  However, I noticed a lot of trails and gravel roads on several maps. Then my son saw a notice about your June ride and we are now both interested.

My son and I both have 2000 KLRs, but mine has a sidecar on it, which I have been using for some winter riding here in Minnesota:

I am not sure if my wife is coming, but if she does she would be riding my china bike with a little homemade trailer for camping items.  The photo below was taken last spring on a short camping trip to the Huntersville area of north central Minnesota:

I have taken the 196 cc china bike and trailer on a backroads tour a couple of years ago through western Iowa on the gravel roads in the Loess Hills area.  That was a 1400 mi round trip, and the bike performed great, but is limited to a top speed of around 50 mph pulling the trailer and myself.  Still, good enough for the backroads and gravel.  However, you cannot get a good dual sport tire for this bike, so it and the sidecar rig are pretty much limited to gravel, dirt and forest trail roads.  But I hear you have a lot of them, so hopefully I will get to see them next June.
.....Jakhack

jacin theis

Welcome to the club. There are a lot of great guys to ride with, hope to meet you sometime.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

bikergirl4ever

Hi Jakhack
How are you doing? We havent seen you since you stopped by toadl's ride in Brainerd. I hope everything healed up well. We went on this ride last June. It was great. Also think about our ride in May and the North Shore Shindig in July. Hopefully we can get together and do some riding.
Lance & Sheri
Akeley, MN
Live, Laugh, Love

greatbuffalo

Welcome.
Love the hack on the KLR. I want a hack in the worst way. Looking forward to seeing this rig.

Hope to see you in the spring. A great group of guys and girls around here. I think you'll really enjoy the bunch.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?