KTM confirms new parallel-twin bike

Started by Robmicgrn, March 31, 2016, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robmicgrn

Uh oh.......... :o

NEWS from KTM's newly-published annual report confirms the company is developing a new twin-cylinder engine that will power a range of bikes in new market segments.

We've already seen the company is developing a parallel-twin engine of around 800cc – spy shots have shown it under test in a Duke-style machine. The new annual report appears to refer to it, saying that the company's 2015 R&D projects included 'development of a new motorcycle platform based on a revolutionary 2-cylinder engine design, which will make a substantial contribution toward opening up new market segments'.

The fact it's referred to as a 'platform' hints that several models will be spun off from the same basic chassis and engine. It doesn't take a genius to speculate that the Duke-style naked version will be joined by an adventure model, while there could even be scope for a faired sports bike along the lines of the RC 390.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/ktm-confirms-new-parallel-twin-bike/31052.html#ixzz44WPlSPu9

"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Bogus Jim

This is interesting, perhaps someone will finally build an 800cc adventure bike that doesn't weigh 6 tons.

greatbuffalo

That is very interesting. It will be interesting to see how they can "revolutionize" the parallel twin. Now lts see if they can make a midsize that doesnt weigh 6 tons or cost 18,000 bucks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

I don't think light weight and inexpensive can be used in the same sentence?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

You may right Fletch

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

mitchn06

Quote from: Fletch on March 31, 2016, 10:19:14 PM

for sure not KTM and inexpensive
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

Fletch

Quote from: mitchn06 on April 01, 2016, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: Fletch on March 31, 2016, 10:19:14 PM

for sure not KTM and inexpensive

true, although I did manage to pick up a new '15 300XC-w for a pretty good price last fall.

Lonesome Dave

Yeah Fletch, after you begged and threatened them all summer!  They probably thought they might sit on it all winter.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Lonesome Dave

Just giving ya a hard time.  :evil  But, I think you finally shamed into meeting Scottsbluff's (?) price.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Bogus Jim

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 31, 2016, 08:06:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how they can "revolutionize" the parallel twin.

I too am skeptical about revolutionizing the parallel twin. But we'll see.

It's going to be interesting to watch KTM the next few years. They are on a tear - the last 3 years, market share up 25% annually and profits up 39% annually. They are a billion dollar company now. I'd probably buy KTM stock but they are delisting and going private.

Their strategy thus far has been to build the lightest, fastest, most powerful bikes possible and sell at a premium price, but if they want to continue growing at 25%, they will have to enter new markets.

Fletch

They are getting into motoGP.  That is a huge step towards new markets.