News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2008 KLR tank bag

Started by OOFDA, March 24, 2010, 09:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOFDA

I'm looking at buying a tank bag for my 2008 KLR. With all the rider experience out there what do you recommend? The two things I like to have at hand are a map and camera. The bike came with the Kawasaki trunk and saddlebags. Maybe not the best but will do until I talk to people and see what is available.
Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
OOFDA

loingrader

i can't say enough good things about my wolfman enduro tank bag.  spendy, but a darn nice piece of equipment.  has a clear removable map pocket that velcros on top.  plenty of room for water, camera, etc, but not so big that it gets in my way when i stand up on my pegs.  probably holds about 3/4 of a gallon of stuff.  i'd buy it again for sure.

any strap on tank bag (wolfman included) will need to be watched/cleaned to prevent dirt accumulation behind the straps which could scuff your tank's paint.  i have an ims tank so it is a non issue for me, but something to consider.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

Loingrader
Thanks for the quick comeback. I looked on the wolfman website and this looks like the tank bag I want. Of course so did the other 85 bags I looked at. One question - how does it ride when not completely full?
Might I ask how you got your "handle". Now too hard to figure out OOFDA. With a last name like Engebretson, after you push a bike up a steep hill, what else would you say?
Thanks Again
OOFDA

loingrader

the bag keeps it's shape even when empty, but it is not so stiff that it won't give when you lean (or fall) on it while riding. 

wolfman makes bigger bags, but on my klr, the enduro always has more room than i need.

loingrader...   i worked night shift in a packing house grading pork loins during the summers when i was in college.  thus "loin-grader."  i use it as a handle online because no matter the website, loingrader is always available.

and i never would have known what oofda meant before i moved to sd.  now that i've been here for 10 years or so, (and married to a dutchie) it's pretty obvious...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

Alright - you have a much more interesting handle than mine. But be forwarned, if "dutchie" says "OOFDA" and follows it up with "MAY" you could be in trouble with your higher life form.
Remember Deny, Deny, Deny!
You can thank me later - OOFDA

hayduke.klr07

i have an explorer lite.  it holds a whole bunch of stuff.  well constructed, functional.  i would say this though....if you stand up alot it will affect that.  you cannot get over your tank as much as you would like sometimes.

OOFDA

Thanks for the info. Somewhere I read about a tank bag that could also be used as a backpack, I haven't been able to find it again. Possibly someone out there has some information?

OOFDA

loingrader

the wolfman enduro has a strap that you could sling over your neck and wear like a satchel (or purse).  this is what i do when i pull it off the bike to head into a store for supplies.

The Yeti

I've got an enduro on my WRR, perfect fit.  Sometimes wish I had a bit more room, but any excess fits in my camelbak, just a little harder to get to.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Caseyjones

I can only suggest not using the KLR tankbag, it fails to keep shape and interferes with legroom. I to will be looking to upgrade to a better tankbag.

fringefan

Walmart $30 bell tank bag actually is not all that bad as long as you have a stock metal tank but the wolfman is the way to go.

OOFDA

Hey Guys - I really appreciate the information. Its nice to have access to all that knowledge. I ordered the Wolfman Enduro. At 4k miles I  needed a new rear tire and chose the Metzler Sahara 3. I received the tire yesterday and am impressed with the heavy sidewalls and tread pattern. Some of the less expensive tires seemed to be weak in the sidewalls and didn't get many miles before replacement. Probably not the perfect tire but what is?? My last quest, for now, is to find a windshield that suits me. The bike came with the stock short Kaw windshield which put the wind blast in the middle of my chest. I then bought the taller Kaw shield which moved the blast up to my helmet. Now I go down the highway with my head bouncing around like a bobble head doll. I made some saw cuts and using a heat gun angled the top half of the shield forward which helped some but still not enough. If anyone out there has a windshield that deflects the air up and over the head I sure would like to hear about it.
Thanks Again
OOFDA
Trying to keep up with this guy named "farkle" is costing me some serious money! 

OOFDA

Got my Wolfman Enduro tank bag yesterday and installed it. SWEEEEET!
Thanks Again for the input guys.

OOFDA