News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

10000 miles...

Started by loingrader, August 27, 2008, 11:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

the klr rolled over 10,000 miles today on the way to work.  she's a 1992 vintage and in the first 15 years of her life she was neglected, left in a dark garage and only ridden 5000 (that's less than 350 miles per year).  since i rescued her in december, i've put on another 5000 miles.  what a great little bike.  doesn't burn any oil, averages 48.5mpg (at 70mph commuting) and with the pink, blue and green color scheme, i look totally rad driving it.  what could be better.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Not sure if you have seen the movie Hackers?

They are great bikes but every one knows the Green ones are the best :cheers

Hank

350 miles a year.   That's just sad.   I'll have another KLR sooner or later.. I'm pretty sure of that.   The next one will be a ground up project bike with 705 kit, progressive shock, inverted forks.. etc etc.   Maybe next year if I can find a decent deal on one.

You do look rad driving it, especially with your high tops hanging open and your mullet (1992 baby!)

loingrader

chad, that racist remark is completely uncalled for.  all klr's are created equal regardless of color.  it's what's on the inside that counts (like the 705 cc monster jason is dreaming up)
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Jason I would be willing to save you the money of having to buy a KLR by allowing you to build mine up and I would be more than happy to let you ride it every now and then ;D

Jared

I love Hackers!  I've seen it a ton, but not sure I get the reference?

The Yeti

Quote from: Jason H. on August 27, 2008, 12:11:06 PM
350 miles a year.   That's just sad.   I'll have another KLR sooner or later.. I'm pretty sure of that.   The next one will be a ground up project bike with 705 kit, progressive shock, inverted forks.. etc etc.   Maybe next year if I can find a decent deal on one.

You do look rad driving it, especially with your high tops hanging open and your mullet (1992 baby!)

Was just talking with a guy at work today who rides a Harley look-alike (Honda, maybe) and said, with obvious pride, he'd put on over 500 miles this summer!   (Totally gratuitous smilies)  :lid :chug :chug :cheers :eat :pics
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

Quote from: AquaTop on August 27, 2008, 05:30:16 PM
I love Hackers!  I've seen it a ton, but not sure I get the reference?

Man, as Angelina JOlie is getting on the Babie bike the main character asked "so what does he do? Other guy said just look rad"

Jared

Ohhh, well in that case ya gotta get the quote right!

"And what's he do?"
"You're lookin at it -- he just looks slick all day."

;D

fringefan

Did you watch the movie again? Impressive :o

ScubaMoto

Quote from: loingrader on August 27, 2008, 11:32:16 AM
the klr rolled over 10,000 miles today on the way to work.

Congrats on the 10k rollover.  I'm sure everyone here would agree with me that a fine barbie bike that that should not live it's years out sitting in storage but be ridden.  As someone who just rolled over 20k about a month ago I can tell ya the miles only get better ;D ... or maybe that's just the deterioration of the nerves in my hands from the thumper.  Either way  :D :D !!!
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2005 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Honda Accord EX

loingrader

Old thread. 

Just turned over 20,000 miles on the KLR.  It has needed nothing but oil, tires and gas.

My miles have slowed down since I made the 83 GL650 is my main commuting steed.

I want to "preserve" my KLR for many more years of DDSR rallys!

Osnabrock

They're a good machine.
I'm coming up on 40,000 with the only thing outside of what you mentioned was that I needed to rebuild my front wheel with a new hub.
I also put fewer miles on it these days since the DRZ has come into my life.  Not that it replaces my KLR, only that I'm riding terrain that's much "kinder" to me on the Zed.  The KLR is still my touring machine.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Hank

Speaking of KLR (a common topic around here) I  stayed the night in Hastings MN about two weeks ago, and as I was leaving the hotel at 6:30 AM I met my old camo KLR at an intersection.    That was a pretty cool coincidence!   It had hard cases mounted, but looked pretty much the same.

Loingrader I picked up a '95 kawi Jet Ski (STS 750) that is also of the barbie variety.  LOTS of pink and purple.  Hideous really, but a nice little machine in VG condition for cheap.  It would look great next to your KLR.

Hank

A little off topic, but I had to share.

Don't go blind...