News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

snow

Started by woodsrider 53 RCSD, October 05, 2013, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsrider 53 RCSD

FREE SHOVELING SEMINAR AND PRACTICE COME ON OVER.

Akunin

ha!

We have 12' tall windrows downtown here in Custer

Lonesome Dave

Woody, figured this was as good place to post something about the snow storm.

Well I'm back, if anyone notice or cared!   :D  Last Friday I went to work in a blizzard and stayed most of the day.  Left about 2pm and barely got home.  It was the worst I've seen in many years.  I made it home and got stuck out in the driveway.  We've been without electricity and phone and worse yet, NO internet, since Friday.  Well the phone's back and so is the internet, and so am I, but NO electricity.  I've been alternating between furnace and fridge in the house with a small generator, back feeding through the garage.  But its not 220v and haven't had any water.  And, besides flushing, I really need a shower!   So we've been melting snow by the bucket loads for the toilet. 

Finally got dug out last night.  I know you've all been concerned, but you can relax now.

This storm really sucks.  It probably cut a good month of trail riding riding out of this fall.  I'm sure it will go away soon, but anything above Hwy 385 will be out.

Just remembered, breakfast at Windmill / Marlins this Saturday.  I'll post over there.   
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

That was quite a storm. My friend in Lead kept me posted on how things were developing. After he lost electric on Friday night he had to find some place to stay warm. He found some friends that had wood heat, no electric but you can do without that, not the heat. He made it back to his place yesterday afternoon. They got electric back just as he was finishing up his shoveling.

That was quite a doozy.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

It was pretty bad, the numbers I read were Black Hills Power had 28,000 (30%) without power and West River 10,500 (90%). A house 3 blocks down has a hole punched in the roof from a tree. A few cars with broken windows from falling branches.

I had no power or heat from Friday afternoon until Tuesday noon. It wasn't much of a hardship though; never got colder than about 50 degrees in the house. One thing is for sure though, I am really sick of Mountain House food.  :P   and instant coffee

The ranchers are going to have some big losses, lots of cattle didn't make it.

Hank

I had heard the cattle and sheep losses were going to be bad.   I've heard of sheep getting snowed under and suffocating, but never cattle before?   I supposed when it comes down that hard and fast it could happen to anything.

One of the guys that works here wants to go out four wheeling yet, and soon.    Is the snow melting off pretty good, or is it a lost cause for the year - mostly looking at the Pactola - F/F area?

Fletch

lots of dead cattle, one guy I talked to said he found his dead 10 miles from his pasture? West River is down to 1800 off this morning and hope to be below a thousand by the time crews come in tonight? I'm sure it will be Monday or so before the poor guy at the end of the line is on.

It is melting fast on the prairie, but the hills got more and its not as warm so????
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Fletch

the number of dead cattle is unbelievable. You will be driving along and there will be a couple in the ditch every mile or so. Probably 50 on I-90 between Box Elder and New Underwood. the snow is pretty deep in places, I don't think anything with wheels will be on the trails in the hills?

Bogus Jim

I'd hate to be zipping along on a snowmobile and fall into this...

Lonesome Dave

Fletch, is that truck parked there or stuck?  :-\
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

I thought we had it bad, South Dakota was way worse. I was lucky, didnt lose any cows. Had to work straight through for a couple days to keep power plants online, was worried when I finally got home that I would have some dead livestock. Heartbreaking what those ranchers are going through.

sandhillrider

Grubbie, have been hoping you were west far enough, glad to hear no loss of cattle.
The weather is crazy this year. Tornados and heavy rains here.

greatbuffalo

Grub's, I was thinking about you the other day when they were showing the livestock loss. Glad to here you were outside the bad zone.

Way too much....... Way too soon
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on October 09, 2013, 08:34:44 PM
Fletch, is that truck parked there or stuck?  :-\

Momentarily delayed Dave, There was a SDNG Hemmit behind him to pull him out.