News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Cold weather gear

Started by loingrader, October 27, 2008, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

i use widders, got them online.  they are no longer made.  gerbings are great gloves too, but they draw more amps than the widders do. 

i've thought about studding tires too.  aerostich has some pretty good studs.  problem with studded tires is on dry pavement, they feel like you're riding on marbles. 

a klr with an outrigger or sidecar would be ideal.  that or a ural with 2wd.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

Thanks for the info Bret!

I've never had a hack, but that would be the ultimate cold weather scoot. I could also use it in the summer to give the kid and dog rides.

A KLR hack would be nice for you since you already own one,but i'm sure the sidecar is spendy.

I can't really justify the price of a Ural although it seems ideal...plus I have heard they are junky.

We got about 6" of snow today so I'll be truckin' for awhile.

loingrader

i've toyed with making an outrigger to attach to my klr in the winter months, but only if it did not affect the bike once removed.  my klr is too awesome as a 2wheeler to make into a permanent hack.  maybe if i found another klr...

urals are kinda like harleys, only more so.  they are built with technology circa 1950.  very simple, but take some tinkering.  if i was where you were, i would be awfully tempted to get a 2wd ural gear up in the artic paint scheme, but yea, they are pretty pricy.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro