News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Snow bikes

Started by Hank, December 20, 2013, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Has anyone ever ridden a Timbersled conversion or similar product?

This just looks like soooooo much fun!!

loingrader

Never ridden one but read lots about them because they look so cool.  I think guys that are used to big sleds would find them pretty underwhelming but for a bike guy who hasn't been on a sled in 20 years I know they would be fun as hell; especially on a bike with a LOT of horsepower.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

I haven't ridden one either but would certainly like to give one a whirl. The videos I've seen show the conversions hill climb better then some mountain sleds. I have also read that they are power hogs. You really need a 450 or bigger but I've seen some good videos with 250s too.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Yeah I see in the first video one guy was running a turbo KXF450.  I didn't even know you could even get a turbo for a MX bike.
I would imagine you can't ever have too much HP for one of those rigs.    A 250 would probably be a little short.    A KTM 690 might be a good starting point.   65-70hp isn't too hard to get out of one of them.

Sounds like they can't do sheer hills climbs like a sled can, just because of the HP, but the maneuverability through the trees and ability to side hill makes up for it.

Here is another great video.

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

OK that was incredibly cool.    I wonder how long the lower end holds up in a 100hp 450?

greatbuffalo

My question was: Why can't you leave the turbo on when you replace the wheels?

Hank

Looks like it sits pretty much where the wheel would be.   

Hank

Sportfaller

YES PLEASE! I need a turbo'd husaberg 570 timbersled for Laramie!  You'd never get me off medbow peak!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

That deep stuff + skis on my feet =  ;D

loingrader

That turbo bike on tracks looks 10x better than anything I've seen similar.  Hank?  Ready to try one out and report to the group?

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Ha I wish.   Eastern SD ditch pounding isn't fun enough to justify the '96 MXZ 583 I just sold.    If I lived somewhere like those guys do I think I'd be having one!

greatbuffalo

loingrader

I thought half the fun of sled ownership was hauling them 600 miles west to find good snow?