News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Snow bikes

Started by Hank, December 20, 2013, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thermomechanical

Hello

I just bought a Timbersled ST (short track) for my 2013 KTM 450 SXF. I've ridden it in the Big Horns and the Black Hills of Wyoming and SD so far ... Probably have 20 hours on it so far. I am absolutely impressed with just about everything about it. It seems unstoppable in deep powder, and DEFINITELY climbs better than any stock sled. Now that's not to say that you take the same lines as a sled, but in most situations, especially in anything but huge corniced mountains- the bike will absolutely stomp any mountain sled.  As for power- the 60 horse that the KTM 450 puts out, is in my opinion just right.  The bike is so much lighter than a sled, and only has one ski dragging you down ... That it completely changes the physics of the sport, it seems. 

If anyone is interested in trying one, please get a hold of me. I only have two buddies to ride with so far ... So schedules are often tough. I sure could use more riding buddies!
Scott Anderson
Spearfish
406-208-7546

tannerc

Thermech, pICTURES! Video?

Just for fun..

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Thermomechanical

I'm having trouble uploading to the forum, but here is a link to some video on my buddies Facebook page. I'm the guy in the blue coat.  This video was taken 12/26/13 in Long Draw, West of Hanna campground.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10202785632068061&id=1418239824&comment_id=7382357&offset=0&total_comments=8&ref=m_notif&notif_t=video_comment_tagged&actorid=100000138502245&__user=563401570

Lonesome Dave

Welcome Thermo.  Okay first I have a story to tell......I went skiing on the 26th and upon leaving and heading up over Terry Peak, I see this awesome Timberline bike in the back of a trailer.  Now I've never seen one up close.  You all know me, I turned around and stopped to talk to the guy.  His name is Scott (now called Thermomechanical).  Great guy, very friendly and willing to show me his snow-bike.  I of coarse tell him about DDSR and that we've been talking about this snow-bike on the forum.  I mentioned that no one here has ever rode one.  Well he offered, I accepted and we unloaded it.

Oh my god, what a blast, and I was just putting around in shallow snow.  Out in a open meadow with waist deep snow, I can only imagine.  It seems to turn hard, but that's only because I wasn't committed.  You lean into it and gas it and your headed the other direction.  Scott was telling me that after about 3 hours of riding, you get the hang of it and its just more fun from there!  Earlier in the day, he and his buddy went up a steep hill climb, impossible for a snow sled, and  by the time they got to the top, a bunch of snowmobiler's were stopped at the bottom watching them. 

Scott took several videos and pictures of me riding it.  I'll post something when I figure out how to get it off my smart phone, into my computer, up to youtube, and then back here.  In the meantime, thanks again Scott, and yes, I might have to get one of those, but I need a bigger bike first.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Thermomechanical

I'm glad you had fun, Dave.  Prior to getting my snow bike kit, it woulda been cool to test ride one ... Although the outcome woulda been the same for me!  After riding it- I woulda had to get one!!!

Lonesome Dave

Okay, I got this youtube video figured out.  I think!  I give my first impressions on the second half of the video.  I pretty much sound like a giddy school girl.   :D

Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Dave, how did the skiing go?

I am a bit jealous you got to ride that thing. What a hoot!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

GB; Skiing was great.  Tore up a rental ski on a rock.  Can't seem to get back up after falling down, and I was so sore I couldn't hardly get into the house after driving home.  I hate getting old.

I have always wanted to get a snowmobile, but that Timbersled would be way more fun.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

The trick is to stay upright and thus negating having to get up.

And the ski? better a rental than one of my staves.

tannerc

ok, so its no timbersled, it does NOT make 50-100HP, But its got a hemi.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/sno/4266762537.html

it still looks like fun, I get a kick out of little shit like that
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

That lil thing looks like a blast!

tannerc

Quote from: Hank on January 01, 2014, 08:52:15 PM
That lil thing looks like a blast!

I agree, 100%.
some bugger has snorunner parts on lock down. But they are available.
http://snorunner.com/

greatbuffalo

I had one of those many moons ago, thinking 81. It was made by Brunswick Marine. It had a 110 CC two smoke. It was fun but the motors were not really made for the cold and had to run it lean to keep to make any power. We all know what can happen to a lean two smoke, even in the cold weather. No fun in the deep stuff. Worked well on snowmobile trails.

Very hard to find info on the Brunswick machine. Think Chrysler Marine owned Brunswick Marine and probably made them on the same line. Mine was called the SnoHopper.