News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail guide rating system

Started by fringefan, August 04, 2008, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fringefan

One of the ideas I had for this site was to organize the trails we ride for us and any new riders coming to the area looking for places to ride. The trail maps are great but it is still a crap shoot for anyone looking to get off the beaten path.

I sent and email to Jason to get his thoughts but keep this in mind for trails you ride and have ridden so we can catalog them.

I think a trail rating system similar to what kayakers use to rate rapids would work best.
1- Smooth pavement

2-Gravel or a bad paved road

3- Jeep trails or two track roads minimal maintenance semi knobby tires should be considered and easy water crossings. Knobs are recommended.

4- Dirt trails with single-track, ruts, some mud, water crossings with moving water and some elevation changes. Knobs required. Big and or loaded bikes should be fine depending on rider ability.

5- Steep, rocky, sandy, muddy trails that are very technical. Water crossings that have deep fast moving that is deep enough to stall a bike. Trails are rutted and or mostly single-track with major elevation changes that are steep up and down. Knobs are required would advise against big or fully loaded bikes.

6- Darien gap= virtually impossible

I think any report you write should include the name of the trail if at all possible day and month it was ridden and the bike you rode. The above rating system is an idea and can be expanded or cut back and if you think my writing sucks then take the liberty of rewriting it.

loingrader

so on the sunday of dds 2008 did we run trails encompassing 1-4?  some of the trail was pretty easy, some was probably considered a 4 by some if not all the group.  how would you, chad, rate that trail?

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

I agree I think it was 1-4. I did not think the trail was that tuff but thought that it had some sections that where fun and kept you on your toes. The sections that would have been rated a 4 where short in length and might have be a 3.5-4. I heard some of the guys say that it was the hardest trail they had ever ridden.

This is just an idea or a proposed system so if you have any recommendations that would make it better I would be interested. I read about a similar rating system on another board and thought it was a good idea.

If guys have some info about a trail before they get into it, it should turn more guys onto the site and get more people into DS. Nothing turns people off more than a bad first experience and sending them on a trail that is above their ability can do that.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on August 04, 2008, 04:39:32 PM
I agree I think it was 1-4. I did not think the trail was that tuff but thought that it had some sections that where fun and kept you on your toes. The sections that would have been rated a 4 where short in length and might have be a 3.5-4. I heard some of the guys say that it was the hardest trail they had ever ridden.

This is just an idea or a proposed system so if you have any recommendations that would make it better I would be interested. I read about a similar rating system on another board and thought it was a good idea.

If guys have some info about a trail before they get into it, it should turn more guys onto the site and get more people into DS. Nothing turns people off more than a bad first experience and sending them on a trail that is above their ability can do that.

I actually think the trail on Sunday morning was closer to a 5 than a 4.5...but I'm sure that's just a result of my inexperience. There were more than a couple times I woulda taken an easy out, if one had existed. Was getting very tired, hot and frustrated during a good portion of the rocky creek beds, and the final hillclimb was absolutely terrifying to me. 90% of what we rode that day, I would NEVER attempt on my regular solo outings.

With that said, I still had fun in the end and will remeber that weekend for years to come and wouldn't trade it for the world!  ;D

I'm sure this is the thread you're talking about:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345289&highlight=ratings+system

My favorite take on the ratings system is by Neduro:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7057072&postcount=6

He's the guy behind http://www.dualsportriding.com/ and the awesome Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVD. If you haven't got a copy yet, order one today! It's the best riding DVD I own and I musta watched it about a dozen times.

A synopses of his system:

Class I - Requires 1-2 hours
Class II - Requires half a day
Class III - Requires most of a day
Class IV - Requires a very long day
Class V - Requires an overnight stay on the route
Class VI - Requires a few days
Class VII - Expedition

Grade A is graded dirt road
B is easy jeep road
C is moderate
D is occasionally technical
E is continuously technical
F is gonzo

According to Neduro, and IMHO, the rocky section (where we went 11 miles in 2.5 hours) that trail would rate a IIE. YMMV.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

You ever want to rent that vid out for w weekend?

That rating system is a bit more complex than I was thinking.

I could not tell you where having trouble on that trail with the exception of a couple tip overs. You are on  a big bike with street tires so everyone thought you did one heck of a job. James and Scuba looked tired. Allan we need to get out and ride some weekend.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on August 12, 2008, 11:57:24 AM
You ever want to rent that vid out for w weekend?

Sure, could maybe even get copies for everyone during our next get together in September. But if you wanna borrow mine, just give me a call and swing by my place.

That rating system is a bit more complex than I was thinking.

Well, I like it, so screw you!!   :P

I could not tell you where having trouble on that trail with the exception of a couple tip overs. You are on  a big bike with street tires so everyone thought you did one heck of a job.

Well, thanks, but I must just hide my terror really well.   ;D

Allan we need to get out and ride some weekend.

I'm out riding pretty much every weekend afternoon, let me know when you wanna go. Maybe me, you & Brian could get together this weekend...?

fringefan

He was just over and should be back in a few hours. Trying to get him to change my rear tire ;)

I wil run it by him and see what I can work out. I have my girls on the weekends when my wife is at work so I need to arange for some daycare.

ScubaMoto

Quote from: fringefan on August 12, 2008, 11:57:24 AM
James and Scuba looked tired.

Yeah I was beat.  Made it through some stuff I wasn't sure about though.  Like Alan said, there was a bunch of that I wouldn't try alone either but it was definatley a great experience.
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2005 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Honda Accord EX

The Yeti

Welcome Paul!

That last hillclimb was especially terrifying when I saw you crash right in front of me!!   :o ;)

fringefan

Got to try stuff like that so the other stuff seems easy.

loingrader

i agree chad.  it's only tough if you're not used to it.  and how does it become easier?  EXPERINECE.  practice makes perfect.  i'm all about difficult trails, as long as they are balanced with some less techinal stuff so no one gets bummed out, hurt, or too terribly exhausted.

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jared

Hmm I can see riding with you fellas will be an eye-opening experience! :o

fringefan

A skid plate might be a good investment ;)

The Yeti

Quote from: The Yeti on August 11, 2008, 10:52:20 PM
Quote from: fringefan on August 04, 2008, 04:39:32 PM

I actually think the trail on Sunday morning was closer to a 5 than a 4.5...but I'm sure that's just a result of my inexperience. There were more than a couple times I woulda taken an easy out, if one had existed. Was getting very tired, hot and frustrated during a good portion of the rocky creek beds, and the final hillclimb was absolutely terrifying to me. 90% of what we rode that day, I would NEVER attempt on my regular solo outings.

With that said, I still had fun in the end and will remeber that weekend for years to come and wouldn't trade it for the world!  ;D

I'm sure this is the thread you're talking about:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345289&highlight=ratings+system

My favorite take on the ratings system is by Neduro:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7057072&postcount=6

He's the guy behind http://www.dualsportriding.com/ and the awesome Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVD. If you haven't got a copy yet, order one today! It's the best riding DVD I own and I musta watched it about a dozen times.

A synopses of his system:

Class I - Requires 1-2 hours
Class II - Requires half a day
Class III - Requires most of a day
Class IV - Requires a very long day
Class V - Requires an overnight stay on the route
Class VI - Requires a few days
Class VII - Expedition

Grade A is graded dirt road
B is easy jeep road
C is moderate
D is occasionally technical
E is continuously technical
F is gonzo

According to Neduro, and IMHO, the rocky section (where we went 11 miles in 2.5 hours) that trail would rate a IIE. YMMV.

I know, this is a really old thread, but I just happened across this old post of mine and found it funny how (just like Bret said) experience makes all the difference.

The rocky section I was referring to is Camp 5. A bit over a year ago, I rated it a IIE on the above scale.  I'd now rate it a ID...I find that funny and surprising!  The only trail in the hills I can think of that would be a IIE is maybe the creekbed excess and I tried to go up a few weeks ago (near Camp 5).

fringefan

I was just thinking about this last night in that one of my original ideas for this site was to catalog trails with ride reports and use a simple rating system. I think it would promote more activity on the board with guys posting reports on new trails and discussing old ones. Ideally it would be a great library for riders comming to the region and a way for guys to plan their day in advance.

Not sure on the exact format but region like the black hills, trail name or number and GPS coordinates is avail, rating, and some type of report. I have no idea if it would take additional storage but it seem it should be just data and as of right not we have more than enough. Updates on the trail condition are always good. I noticed trail 89 was much more rocky than it was the last time I was on it with sections that has lots of large loose rocks.

Let me know your thoughts.