Two Days Trials Training in the Black Hills, any interest? Just say YES!!!

Started by Harry Potter, April 04, 2016, 09:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Potter

Hi All,

I just came back from Trials Training Days at the Trials Training Center and was wondering if there would be enough interest to host a two day Trials Training course in the Black Hills? I know this is a dual sport club but you should understand that Trials makes you a better rider in all aspects of motorcycle riding. I don't know of the existence of any other Enduro or Trials type groups in the Hills area. If there are any please let me know. It would probably be a day and half of basics and a half day of riding a section. One possible instructor is Raymond Peters who has thirty years of experience.  Another possible instructor is USA Woman's National Champ Madeline Hoover (still in High School,) and her father Gary who were teaching classes at Trials Training Days. For Mr. Peters we would need 15 participants at $200 each. I didn't get a chance to discuss fees with Gary and Mattie. Whichever instructor, they would fly into Rapid City and I would provide them with a bike and a place to stay. If there is an interest I would be leaning towards Gary and Mattie in 2016 and maybe Ray in 2017.

As to location, there are at least two private places available with both probably needing a little preparation.

Most bikes at TTDs were at least 10 years old with many vintage twin shocks and probably a dozen little kids (I mean like 5-11 years old,) on electric trials bikes doing logs and rocks. There were some really brave Enduro riders there with their bikes learning trials pointers to improve their rocks and ledges. Point being, even if you show up on a Beta 300RR or something orange you are going to learn a lot. On the other hand life is too short not to own a Trials Bike.  :)
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Lonesome Dave

Yeah, what he said!  ^

I'd be in.

Blaster Bill (Dakota 600) bought my 02 trials bike from Rosco's.  And, I think he recently went to a trials class.
I'll try and contact him.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

BCB1080

I would really like to join in. Depends on the dates as I work two weekends a month. I'm also planning on getting my trials bike to roscoe's for a bit of work on the suspenders and it'd be nice to have that dialed before hand.

Harry Potter

Right now I am thinking July which would give time to get the property ready. If we can get a minimum of 15 riders, hopefully some kids, I am fully committed to making this happen. It's time we get the kids back on bikes and off of ATVs and teaching parents to teach the kids right from the start could be the path. Which is why I think Mattie would be a great choice. I'll see if I can get a video of her posted.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

blasterbill

I would attend if the dates work.  Could get 2-3 others also.  I can not attend July 15-23 due to conflict with the Dakota 600. 
www.dakota600.com
Blaster Bill

Lonesome Dave

I guess Bill beat me here!  So I'll just leave it!!

Harry, I called Bill Hearne "Blaster Bill" tonight.  He said if he's in town, he'll be there.  He also said he thought about trying to form a club of Trials riders together here in the hills.  He wants me to get your contact info to him.  So look for a pm coming your way soon.  He said if this school starts looking like it might be possible, he knows about 6 other trials riders he can contact and see if they're interested.

Bill also said he's been trying to learn to ride a unicycle for balance purposes.  He added, he's almost there!  Anyway, in his search to learn to ride a unicycle he found that our local YMCA is a "hot spot" for nationally known uni-riders and instructors.  The point, after he has been watching some of our local kids on a unicycle and the balancing skills they have developed (ages 8 to 15) he believes turning some of these kids onto trials riding would be very exciting.  Further, he believes if we (USA) would change Trials Riding rules a little to appeal more to TV viewers a resurrection of Trials riding would happen.  Harry, I know your loving this!  Anyway the two of you need to be in touch.
I'll send you a pm.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Harry Potter

Update here. First the Hoovers are out for July. Second I don't think there is enough interest to make it to 15 riders, maybe half that. I perhaps put the cart before the horse. An established Trials group before bringing in an outside instructor is probably a better route. I was just so really excited after all the great classes at Trials Training Days. At this Saturday's breakfast I'll bring the list of all the different classes they had and maybe we can start from there.

Let's start by making sure everybody is reading "On The Pegs" formally "Trials and Enduro News"  Its a free online magazine. Be sure to read Dan Fahay's article on p114.  Dan is a great guy who was an instructor at TTDs. I had previously met him at a Ryan Young class. His article is going to be a monthly column.    Click HERE  http://www.joomag.com/magazine/on-the-pegs-april-2016-volume-1-issue-4/0701438001459014846?short