News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2009 june ralley recap thread

Started by fringefan, June 21, 2009, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fringefan

Just wanted to say thanks to every one that took the time to come out. As usual the camp fire was almost as fun as the riding. I had a great time both days and normally I really prefer technical trails but I had a great time Fri just checking out the area west and north of Cheyenne Crossing. You get lots of weird looks riding around with another man on the back of your bike.

762Nato

Any one have any pictures to post my camera didn't recover from the swim

Dustin

Well I made it back home and in one piece. I was very surprised I stayed dry the whole way home!  Grin
All in all it was a very fun trip. I really had a blast riding the one tracker!  Evil

Here are a few links to the routes we took.

The first one is from Friday looking for the little grand canyon.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1245689665-18862-216.16.67.13.html

This one was the second day (saturday) when we rode south.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1245689766-18941-216.16.67.13.html

Both days we started just south of deadwood at the fish-n-fry.

Not sure how long these links can be viewed but I thought it was pretty cool since you can zoom in and actually see the trails. I'm going to try to find a better way, probably google earth.

The Yeti

That's pretty cool, Dustin. Didn't even know you had a GPS   ???  I'm gonna have to try that out with my tracks.

I've got a ton of pics and vids that I'll try to upload ASAP. Unfortunately, my handlebar camera mount broke before I could get any riding vids...  :P

I had a great time! Some of the others, I know, don't appreciate the milder trails, and I can respect that. Hopefully, in the future, we'll have more old men on giant bikes so we can have seperate rides. Then you crazy youngsters on your "little" 650s can get as technical as you want!  ;D

I must admit, I was envious of you guys after the stories I heard about the crazy single-track on Sunday...but there was no way my bike woulda made it.   :'(
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

Quote from: 762Nato on June 22, 2009, 01:29:44 PM
Any one have any pictures to post my camera didn't recover from the swim

I got one of these after I dunked my Canon and killed it. Waterproof/shock resistant:

loingrader

i've got an olympus stylus 1030 sw.  waterproof to 30 feet.  shock resistant too.  takes great pics and great underwater video.  for those super deep mud holes...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Quote from: The Yeti on June 22, 2009, 04:27:18 PM
I've got a ton of pics and vids that I'll try to upload ASAP. Unfortunately, my handlebar camera mount broke before I could get any riding vids...  :P

I had a great time! Some of the others, I know, don't appreciate the milder trails, and I can respect that. Hopefully, in the future, we'll have more old men on giant bikes so we can have seperate rides. Then you crazy youngsters on your "little" 650s can get as technical as you want!  ;D

How did you break the mount?
I had a great time Fri and the first part of the day on Sat. No question I like to challenge myself and I find those experiences are the ones we remember the most, good and bad ;D  I think the KTM could make it through, might be a little tight and might have to make some new routes but it could make it. That trail was the highlight for me and probably made the trip worth while for some but I enjoyed it all. I was glad you did not come along on that trail, your camera is always ready and you just might have cought me laying in that mud puddle. Brian tried to get a pic but with my cat like reflexes both the bike and I where up before he could get a shot off.

Yeti I think we should get out and take the KTM through that section of trail 89 that allows motorized accress.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on June 22, 2009, 05:05:23 PM
How did you break the mount?

I stripped the mounting hole on the camera...had it cross-threaded and wasn't smart enough to stop turning.

I think the KTM could make it through, might be a little tight and might have to make some new routes but it could make it. That trail was the highlight for me and probably made the trip worth while

Just because it "could" make it through doesn't mean it "should".  And it definitly doesn't mean *I* could ride it through...you fail to understand how out of shape I am, my heart could explode at any moment!  ;)

Yeti I think we should get out and take the KTM through that section of trail 89 that allows motorized accress.

Patience...an SE is in my very near future, and I'm sure I'll be much more confident with it than the ADV.  And don't even suggest I should get something smaller...I'm addicted to the power of the big orange bikes, there's no turning back now.  :evil :evil :evil

fringefan

You need to post a pic of this SE for all to see.

Met Excess on the way back from camp 5 in deadwood. The ride in August sounds like fun and mentioned some guy named bigdog ( i think) who is a well known adv guy and been all over and is one of the guys comming out to ride. Sounds like a good time around the camp fire.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on June 22, 2009, 05:45:22 PM

Not sure which one I'm getting yet....there's excess's...then there's the brand new Erzberg...and then there's this guy in Jackson WY that's got one that's very well farkled, but I'm trying to talk him down into my range.  Like I said, it's unclear which bike I'll get, but it's gonna be an SE.   :evil

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on June 22, 2009, 05:45:22 PM

Met Excess on the way back from camp 5 in deadwood. The ride in August sounds like fun and mentioned some guy named bigdog ( i think) who is a well known adv guy and been all over and is one of the guys comming out to ride. Sounds like a good time around the camp fire.

Generic SE pic:

How sexy is THAT?!  Where the hell is the "drool" smiley...

The Yeti

Did anyone else get about two dozen mosquito bites?!  And they itch like a MF!!  Next time, gotta remember repelent....

LittleJacket

Awesome time guys! Thanks to everyone who showed this year.  Sorry I didn't make Fridays ride-that's what happens when maintinance is left to the last minute.  I am really glad my bike is damage free and can still be ridden around town.  My highlight was definitely the singletrack.  I was feeling out of shape and out of practice, but the singletrack brought back confidence.  Everyone has really impoved their riding skills comparing this year to last.  Unfortunately fewer dumps mean fewer laughs and fewer pics.  We'll really have to step it up and find more technical trails this fall! :evil  The campfire was really fun.  Hopefully Brians boss doesn't have a lesser opinion of him after sharing funny stories.

Alan-that bike is absolutely awesome! I will be jealous if you get one!   
rpjohnso

iceycold

QuoteHopefully, in the future, we'll have more old men on giant bikes so we can have separate rides.
Hey I resemble that remark. But I did look at a 2008 WR450F Monday, cool wave rotors and a headlight could be adapted to street.  Then I though well hell mud yuck and never even sat on the thing because you can change bikes but you can't change old LOL.

I really did have a great time meeting all. Wish the Indian taco (turkey) had the gravy on it though. And thank God Anthony was safe in one piece. The tour really comes out in the Metzler Tourance in the mud.

Damn those pictures are BIG

Brian, tell Brian to tell Anthony I rode 2 days since then and haven't dropped once  ;D

Again thanks for letting me tag along guys and nice to meet yaz
DL1000- 07 >gone but not forgotten<
R12RT- 08
DR 650- 09
for God sake do it before 2012

The Yeti

Pics & vids from The Yeti:

At Chad's house Friday morning:

My bike loaded up:

Chad getting ready to take his girls to daycare:

This was an all too common site, Chad on the phone:

Chad's pack job doesn't look too secure:

Just outside of Nemo, Chad's backpack falls into his rear wheel and gets chewed to sh*t, luckily he didn't go down:

Everyone arrives at Terry Peak summit:

Icycold on top of Terry Peak:

Dustin coming down the stairs:

Terry Peak summit:

Guess what Chad's doing:

Brian coming down the steps after breaking his bike:

Bent shifter:

Anthony, what a trooper!

Hmmm...nice skid plate!

Brian making the best of available resources:

Dustin-King of the World!

Little Grand Canyon, I think:

Wyoming:

Gettin' lunch:

Brian & Anthony:

Left to right - Cliff, Chad, Brain, Anthony, Brian #2, Dustin

Chad's "Large" Indian taco:

Forbidden firewood:

Brain and Anthony's water crossing gone wrong. For some reason, I didn't follow them with the camera...musta been in shock. If you watch closely, Brian had it made coming out, then his front tire knocks a rock loose from the ground and he gets off balance. He said it was either lay it down or hit the ditch...I think he made a good choice and no one was hurt. That Anthony is one tough kid!

Takin' a break:

Brent learned the hard way you cannot leave a water jug in your trunk with expensive electronics on a rough, bouncy trail:

Treebeard?

Brain tries to break his neck: