News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fireworks viewing

Started by Caseyjones, June 29, 2009, 01:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseyjones

Anyone know of a good less travaled and less accessable place from which to view fireworks? It would be great to see fireworks without battling the hordes of domesticated cityfolk  :D 

I was thinking Farmingdale/grasslands would have some high ground but probably to distant.  Anyone planning anything or have any desire to give it a shot? Open to any/all ideas or input. Thanks

The Yeti

Depends on what fireworks you're looking to view...Memorial park, Elks Club, BH Speedway, Arrowhead - Skyline Drive; Mt. Rushmore - get a telescope or binoculars and head out Old Rockerville Rd or Old Hill City Rd.   ;D  Skyline drive is VERY crowded though...gotta get up here real early to get a spot.

A good friend of mine has a house on Skyline with the perfect view of the Memorial park fireworks. We've been doing a 4th/BBQ thing there for the past few years.  I'll see if he'll let some dirty bikers use his lawn.  ;)

I probably won't be there for the actual fireworks, there's a band I want to see that's playing at the Heritage Festival right after the fireworks and it'd be impossible to get down the hill and find parking in time for the band. I've seen the fireworks from up there so many times, they all start to look the same anyway.  8)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Caseyjones

which fireworks dont matter much, its more about getting out on the bike and avoiding the crowds. I did skyline drive once and Mt Rushmore once and while the view was great the crowds were unbearable.  I would honestly rather skip fireworks altogether than fight the crowds.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking these roads and see what there is to see, I was hoping to exploit not being pavement bound anymore.  Aint it great to be a dirty biker!

The Yeti

Quote from: Caseyjones on June 29, 2009, 06:13:47 PM
which fireworks dont matter much, its more about getting out on the bike and avoiding the crowds. I did skyline drive once and Mt Rushmore once and while the view was great the crowds were unbearable.  I would honestly rather skip fireworks altogether than fight the crowds.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking these roads and see what there is to see, I was hoping to exploit not being pavement bound anymore.  Aint it great to be a dirty biker!

Well...if you're taking the bike, then I know a potentially great place to watch the Rushmore fireworks, don't think you'll even need binoculars.   I'll show you where it is on Friday if you want, I'm sure I'll be out riding.   ;D

Caseyjones

yes, excellent, that would work great. Bike is my default transportation unless Im carrying heavy stuff.  Friday looks pretty open and I would love to see where it is.

The Yeti

Did you take care of those bald tires yet?

Caseyjones

Bald tires?

I think someone else we were riding with Saturday may have had some excessive tire wear but mine are still pretty meaty.

The bike has 1300 mi and original tires still but plenty of cog left.

How do I reach you on Friday, what is convenient for you?

The Yeti

My mistake, that was Sportfaller that had the tires that were almost gone.

What works for you on Friday?  Morning or afternoon?  Do you want to ride more than just to see that spot?  If so, how long of a ride are you up for?  I'm open for whatever.

You can give me a call on my cell; 381-thirteen-seventy-six.

Caseyjones

Late morning sound ok? Im pretty open for the day, Ill call thurs night to varify. I wonder if anyone else would care to ride also.

Tony

The Yeti

Late morning sounds good to me. If anyone else wants to come along, they're certainly welcome!

The Yeti

Hmmm...looks like the weather may not cooperate tomorrow. Just have to wait 'n see, I guess.

The Yeti

Tony - sorry we couldn't get out this weekend, hope you found a good place to see the "exploding fog" (what a joke   :P ).

I did get out on Sunday for a couple hours, things seem to be drying up nicely!  Maybe we can try again this weekend:

http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=304.0

Caseyjones

I opted to stay in on the 3rd, I didnt figure I would see anything through the haze, actually surprised the show went on. I went to the grasslands on the 4th and watched from a distance so great I could hear nothing but still I could see. Amazing place out there, I couldnt see or hear another human for miles, PERFECT!!

I now fail to see how I ever lived so long without an offroad worthy bike. Never again will I be pavement bound.

This weekend sounds great, the weather outlook is pretty good.  I got a new Garmin 60CSx Im anxious to try out this weekend.