News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Good stuff you need

Started by Hank, July 12, 2009, 05:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Post any "gotta have it" motorcyle stuff you've recently found.    Here are a few things I recently found:

Belray "super clean" chain lube.   Big aerosol can of chain lube that sprays on thin but instantly setups up to a nice dry sling free state.  Absolutely does NOT collect dirt or sling.  Best stuff I've used.   Looks a little weird when dry.

Plexus cleaner. Great cleaner / polish for windshields and face shields.   Leaves the shield nice and slick so the next time the bugs pretty much fall off.   Supposedly fills small scratches and I think it does as it really makes your view clear.   Reminds me of the good Honda spray cleaner I used to buy 15 yrs ago.  Comes in a small, handy aerosol can.

Dairyland direct (online) insurance.  Was paying around $300 annually for full coverage on my KTM with Progressive through my bank.  Progressive did not impress me much with the quote they gave me on the blackbird so I checked Dairyland.  Annual full coverage for my KTM was around $90 (WTF?!?!) and I ended up getting full coverage on both the 'bird and KTM for less than I was paying for FC on just the KTM.   Check them out if you haven't!

Hank

Can't believe I forgot this:   http://www.earfuze.com

These work great for riding.  Block almost as much sound as a pair of earplugs, sound pretty good, and don't work their way out of or hurt your ears.   I wore them 10+ hrs a day on my trip.   They also kick ass for riding the lawn mower etc.  I've never had any luck with normal earbuds while riding at anything much over about 50 mph, due to comfort, the things falling out, or having to crank the volume way higher than what I should.

loingrader

dairyland insurance rocks.  for the last 5 years, i've had all my street bikes insured thru them.  just liability, but it sure doesn't cost very much. 

just insured the 83 gl650i for $40/year.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

You got a # for dairy land and do they insure cars as well? My KLR cost about $160 a year with Geico.

Hank

Hank

I really debate between FC and liablility only every year when I renew the bike insurance. 

On one hand, I hate to spend the money on insurance..

But on the other hand, especially  at dairlyland's rates I think it's money well spent when KTM fuel tanks cost 1300/side and blackbird fairings are 300+ per side.   

..Especially when I follow you crazy bastards through rocks on the KTM. One unlucky drop on a sharp rock and 4 yrs of insurance (at the old rate, 10 yrs plus at the new) are paid for.  Same for the bird when all it takes is a wind gust or soft asphalt and its laying on its side in the parking lot.

loingrader

i've got a lot of gear and a lot of mods to my bikes, but one item i absolutely love is my lee parks deersports gloves.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopprod_cat_530-3637_product_33202.DeerSports_Black_and_Tan_.htm

here's a review of the glove without the longer gauntlet

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/lee-parks/

at $109 they are not cheap, but they are thick leather, extremely soft but tough leather, and they fit so well that you have all the dexterity you would have without gloves on.  when they get wet, they never stiffen up.  they are more of a street glove, or a cool weather dual purpose glove, as they would be pretty hot in the summer in the hills at slow speeds.

i have heated gloves i use in the winter, but i shed them off as soon as possible so i can put my deersports back on. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro