Come on, summer...

Main Menu

mine info

Started by excess, September 20, 2009, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

excess

i took this picture

and geotagged it with thes coordinates lat=44.33201&lon=-103.62930

So far i've been able to determine it was called Double Rainbow Mine (Richmond Sitting Bull)

The only other info i've been able to find is here: http://www.mindat.org/loc-4115.html

excess

anyone else find any info

The Yeti

All I could find was the info you already posted and a couple maps to the location.  How deep can you go into the mine? Is it walkable, or do you have to crawl?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

You can walk through it. I think it was JOhn from ND said he was going to check some database that the company he works for has access to. If I heard him right. Be curious what he comes up with.

loingrader

is this the mine by galena?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on September 23, 2009, 09:53:06 AM
is this the mine by galena?

Yup, there's a map here:

http://southdakota.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,1264755,n,double%20rainbow%20mine.cfm

I didn't go with them to the mine, but will probably go find it by myself before the snow flies.

loingrader

flex and i spent about 40 minutes nosing around in there on saturday evening before i left.  it's pretty cool, and pretty big.  make sure to bring your gps so you don't get lost in there.   ;D

it's pretty easy to get turned around and forget which passage you came down.

you've been warned...

-b
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

loingrader

Double Rainbow Mine (Richmond Sitting Bull), Deadwood, Galena District, Lawrence Co., South Dakota, USA

Ref.: Rocks & Min.:60:111-112; Min.Rec.:1:124. A lead mine with galena as the principal ore mineral. Started mid-1960's. Features a shaft and some drifting.

Ref: Willard Lincoln Roberts, personal communication, 1984. Primarily operated as a bench scale project to determine the viability of operations. Silver recovery was very poor due to the high concentration of arsenic (as arsenopyrite). Material with the highest concentrations of arsenic were segregated on their own dump. This was the primary collecting location after closure of the test project and was remediated in approximately 1991 under the terms and conditions of another mine's operating permit.

This mine is a "Lower Contact" Deadwood Formation located approximately under the "Upper Contact" Richmond-Sitting Bull Mine. The Double Rainbow is primarily sulfides and the Richmond-Sitting Bull oxidized minerals.

??? high concentrations of arsenic huh?  that sounds a little unhealthy...

loingrader

http://dlsd.sdln.net/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=exact&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=/bhmmr&CISOBOX1=Galena+(S.D.)&CISOSTART=1,1

some neat pictures here of things (including the mine) near galena.  makes me want to do some more exploring...

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on September 23, 2009, 12:55:42 PM
??? high concentrations of arsenic huh?  that sounds a little unhealthy...

Quoteflex and i spent about 40 minutes nosing around in there on saturday evening

Are your guys fingernails turning black??  :evil

Quotemake sure to bring your gps so you don't get lost in there.   

Will a GPS work underground?

Crazy Uncle Larry

With all that lead and arsenic shielding the GPS signal might not reach your handheld unit once you go inside the mine. You might have to revert back to a tried and true, low-tech direction finder known as "a ball of twine"!!!! All in all, sounds like one of those tours to pass up due to the arsenic.

Yeti/Alan, when you asked about their fingernails turning black; it reminded me of that old Sean Connery movie where he was a Middle Ages monk (I believe Jesuit) sent to investigate an order whose members were turning up dead with black finger tips and the tip of their tongues were also black. The order maintained a large library with thousands of volumes of hand-printed tomes (large, heavy, leather-bound books). If I remember right, seems they maybe had a volume or two that contained rather explicit writings and drawings (at least to their Middle Ages sensibilities). I think the author had coated the parchment pages with an arsenic-laced compound in order to preserve it from rats who might chew on the pages or it could have been to mark the transgressor who looked at the book without proper authorization (figuring if you had proper authorization then you would know to use a quill to turn the pages instead of licking your finger and using it to turn the deadly pages).

Speaking of mines...What is the name of the old mine out on the Castle Peak Campground road? Some old guy had set up shop there back in May when we road past. He waved, we waved and rode on.

I hope you guys are all doing well. I came down with a serious sinus cold/flu on Monday and have had to sit out the last two days at home instead of going to work. It sucks because I'm actually under physical duress, not just horsing around looking for a day or two off! It sucks even worse because the weather has been nice here and I can hear the Hills calling...."Larry...Larry...Come out and ride your bike." Oh well, guess I'll just head on in to work tomorrow and keep to myself and see how it goes.
"Let's take a look around the next bend before we turn back."-old Family motto

"Wonder where that road goes?"-2nd old Family motto

The Yeti

Quote from: Crazy Uncle Larry on September 23, 2009, 09:25:16 PM
Yeti/Alan, when you asked about their fingernails turning black; it reminded me of that old Sean Connery movie where he was a Middle Ages monk

The Name of the Rose...could be from where I got the reference as well.   ???  I remember the movie well, even though I probably haven't seen it in 20 years!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

fringefan

My compass worked. Pretty sure gps does not have a chance with no line of sight. Some can't even work with cloud cover so a few feet of dirt and rock would leave a guy wishing he had a ball of twine.

loingrader

hard to pick up on the sarcasm online. 

yea, i was kidding.  gps would be worthless.  i didn't think about a compass working though. 

flexlarson

My nails on my hands and feet have fallen off . I have headaches, I drool all the time, I have stomach pain My hair is grey and I cant remember how to overhaul jet engines anymore or how to do astrophysics.

I think its all coincidental to me spending time in that mine. 

Symptoms include violent stomach pains in the region of the bowels; tenderness and pressure; retching; excessive saliva production; vomiting; sense of dryness and tightness in the throat; thirst; hoarseness and difficulty of speech; the matter vomited, greenish or yellowish, sometimes streaked with blood; diarrhea; tenesmus; sometimes excoriation of the anus; :o urinary organs occasionally affected with violent burning pains  :evil and suppression; convulsions and cramps; clammy sweats; lividity of the extremities; countenance collapsed; eyes red and sparkling; :chug delirium;  :picsdeath. Some of these symptoms may be absent where the poisoning results from inhalation, as of arseniuretted hydrogen.
Symptoms of arsenic poisoning start with mild headaches and can progress to lightheadedness and usually, if untreated, will result in death.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..