News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

fall ralley pics

Started by fringefan, September 21, 2008, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

it all depends on what you're used to riding.  i'm used to big drops, steep hill climbs and technical riding in our pastures and wooded creeks down in north central kansas.  so i'm a bit ahead of the game when it comes to the stuff we ride out in the hills because i've been riding bikes off road for 18+ years.  plus, i like the challenge. 

if someone goes up something, then i'm going to try it too, especially if they are riding the same bike i am.  i like the challenge and am willing to risk damaging bike and body to meet that challenge.  stupid, yes.  fun, absolutely! 

i've done crazier, dumber, and more dangerous things in my life, so i'm less worried about getting hurt when we're riding on the trails.  plus, with a group, there is someone to call in the helicopter if you get hurt.  as far as the bike goes, i didn't pay much for my bike so i'm less worried about damaging it than i would be if i were riding something more expensive. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

I had a ton of fun! There was a lot of stuff that I thought was way over my head.  ;D But with a little help from the group I was able to get through. I gained more experience riding with you guys in that two day period than I could have in a year by myself.  Watching what Flexlarson and Loingrader could do on a bike was absolutly impressive!!  ;D And how Yeti could handle that huge bike through all those massive rocks and come out unscathed is pretty awesome too!! I am looking forward to coming out with a little more armor on the bike and do some more crazy $hit!!!!  :)

loingrader

yea, watching how others handle their bikes and pick lines, etc really aids in the learning experience.  that's only the second time i've had my klr out to the hills, but by sunday i felt like i had gained some extra ability that i didn't have at the end of the june trip. 

every time you ride, you gain something.  the harder the trail, the more experience you gain (to a point of course).
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Yeah, watching you (Brett) ride is something to behold! You and Brian have taught me a lot just by watching you guys. You make those 650s look like 250s! Good stuff, man.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

Hank

Quote from: The Yeti on September 22, 2008, 02:47:08 PM....

Since I'm the oldest in our little group (this time around, at least), AND have the biggest bike, I felt really bad about paddling my way through everything and holding you guys up. I'll get better, I'm sure, but 'til then, please bear with me!  ;D 

Hey now, I think my bike is bigger!  Well at least a little taller :)    And I'm a very close second in the age category.    What is it with old guys and bikes that are too big.

Paul Chris and I had a blast.  Chris was the other "virgin" and hats off to him as well. At least anything anywhere near that level of difficulty was new to him.   All the noobs handled it great. We were bummed to leave early, but at the same time its good we left early as the DRZ had tire trouble on they way home.  We didn't get home until Sunday morning around 10 as the last 1/2 of the trip we were airing the tire up every 20 miles.  And I had to leave the house by 4:30 today, so I needed some rest.

I was definitely more comfortable this time out compared to June.    Too bad I missed the rock gardens on Saturday.

Hey Alan where is that pic of me sliding down the hill!?

Dustin

Here are some more pics  ;D

Friday morning all alone.

Dustin

Dustin

Here is a picture when I ran out of gas coming into Pierre. :o  I actually ran out of gas about 500 yards up the hill but was able to coast almost the whole way!!!  8)

I think it must have been the terrible winds that caused the low MPG.

fringefan

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the ability of some of the newer riders. Some of the stuff was more intimidating than it was hard but this group seemed way more confident that the first ralley group. I think part of that had to do with the first group having several guys with more experience and this time we had guys that where very new so they just did it.

Looking forward to next June. Of all the guys that have ridden out here I have not heard one complaint yet so even though June is a ways a way this little ralley could get even bigger next year ;D

diechrome

Thanks for letting me join the group even if I was lacking in a few areas:

1) No head-lamp, even if the fire did illuminate most of western SD, that's still no excuse
2) My bike was not nearly heavy enough, expensive enough, or as pretty as all of yours (especially Bret's pink accented KLR)
3) And I didn't bring a single Backwoods honey berry cigar, which is a crime in itself (although I did smoke my fair share)

Either way, I had a great time and met some great people.  Thanks for the good time and I love the pictures.

fringefan

Man I noticed a new member I was thinking the spamers found us based on your email handle and I got all excited to give them the boot. Oh well but I am glad you had a good time ;)

The Yeti

QuoteHey Alan where is that pic of me sliding down the hill!?

How's this?  ;D

Crizzay23

Hey guys thanks for the great time! You're all a good bunch of guys and it was some of the coolest riding/terrain I've ever seen. It's been a while since the adrenaline has pumped like that! Sorry about having to cut the trip short. I still cant compress a tennis ball without my elbow hurting like hell. Not sure what's going on there.

Can't wait to do it again!

I hope you guys were sober enough to separate your sleeping bags.

Chris

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau

The Yeti