The Martineau Off-Highway Motorcycle Paul Bunyan State Forest Akeley MN

Started by tannerc, November 01, 2011, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tannerc

Just getting around to getting some videos done up so here goes another one
Labor day weekend 2 day trip to Paul Bunyan forest & Stompin Grounds in Akeley MN.

Very cool place 8) .

This was my first expedition with the XR650R, just picked it up 2 weeks prior (15 years since the previous dirt bike)
I thought "hey lets go out a ride some single track for a couple days" like it was going to be that easy.
We hit the trails at 1pm Friday Sept 2nd and rode till 6pm,  :o I was so worn out in that first 5 hour period and SORE
the next day I was unsure if the second day was going to be much more than dirt road touring but we shook it off
and had fun anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_yvslhqL28

Miles and miles of scenic single track, some laid back riding through the forest, some tough and technical sand hills and baby head rocks.
There are also a lot of 4 wheeler trails and a few play areas. I dont believe a person could get it all done in a long weekend but it is definitely
a couple of trips to try. I will be going back.  ;D

This is a good page to get maps, pictures, vids and an idea about the area from
http://www.paulbunyanforestriders.com/maps.html

Minnesota DNR website
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=14

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

loingrader

Quote from: tannerc on November 01, 2011, 04:15:33 PM
Maybe these should be going into trip reports...  ?

ya, that's probably a better spot for them so people can find them easier when looking for trip ideas.

Hank, want to move these two threads to trip reports?

(keep the reports coming tannerc, and welcome to the site.)
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

Great to see that others are enjoying the Martineau trails.  It's my main playground.  I'm a member of the Paul Bunyan Forest Riders.  We take care of the trails on the East side of the highway.  I spend at least one weekend a month up there helping out with the trails.
I'm happy that they're getting used and appreciated.
Much of the trail system is used for the enduro that we put on every year.  Late season riding, and spring riding, is the best time to be there because the trails are just perfect with the enduro having "burned it in".
Awesome.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

tannerc

Quote from: Osnabrock on November 01, 2011, 06:33:04 PM
Great to see that others are enjoying the Martineau trails.  It's my main playground.  I'm a member of the Paul Bunyan Forest Riders.  We take care of the trails on the East side of the highway.  I spend at least one weekend a month up there helping out with the trails.
I'm happy that they're getting used and appreciated.
Much of the trail system is used for the enduro that we put on every year.  Late season riding, and spring riding, is the best time to be there because the trails are just perfect with the enduro having "burned it in".
Awesome.
I will give warning before I head back up that way  :evil, Used to live in Fargo, a friend with the 426 still does, I plan on getting to know the trails up there better, looks like might even have a guide  :cheers
I believe Martineau trails would be worth the trip even for the most western DDSR member.
It was a lot of fun, and really its miles and miles of cool trail for every skill level.

Dr Psyko

Thanks Guys,

I've been wanting to try this area with my youngest son, he's 13 and I bought him a klx 250. He's brand new; is there enough room for a noob to just ride around (unlicensed)?

Thanks!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Osnabrock

I'd be more than happy to serve as a guide.  All the trails are clearly marked with coordinates that match up the map that you can get online so even solo exploring is not that daunting.
The only thing you need to ride the single track, dual use, and fire roads is an offroad permit from the state.  The DNR are frequently present, and checking folks, so make sure you have it.
There's so much trail there that I seldom encounter another rider on the singletrack.  The dual use trails (motos and quads) are a little more popular.  There's all sorts of beginner riders and everyone obeys trail etiquette so it's a great place to learn. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."