News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

Jacin -

I'm giving Moab a 70% chance of being a "GO". 

The biggest sticking point is the following weekend - my daughter's graduation and all the associated fan-fare.  The flip side to this graduation is slap-in-the-face confirmation that I'm not getting any younger.

I would be camping and would likely trailer most of the way. 

Wacked

Number Two

Been to Moab twice now, and would love to go back.  Catch for me is that I don't get much for time off.  There's a small chance (20%) that I could get the Friday off.  If that doesn't work out, would it be possible to meet up with you guys Friday night or Saturday morning to catch a few days? I would just trailer down either night right after work.

In the past I camped for free on BLM, but I don't mind other plans.

What trails are on the hit list?

Number Two

Quote from: fringefan on February 17, 2011, 08:24:13 AM
Mike
Get with Brian on a few routes you can take to make the trip that has lots of off road. He links up some trails near Laramie and I think rides mostly off road all the way to Steam boat. I know there are some hot springs pools around steam boat to relax in if you want to break up the trip.

They don't plow the paved highway over the mountains (Laramie to Saratoga) until May 30th, and even then the snow is well over the hieght of cars.  I will still be snowmobiling in May, and Laramie can get heavy snows through early June.  I'm not sure how much luck you'd have on the ellis jeep trail, or cameron pass that early.  The Roosevelt, or Medicine Bow forest offices could say.  

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTFxdjAwgAykeaxRtBeY4WBv4eHmF-YT4GMHn8usNB9uHXDzYBB3A00PfzyM9N1S_IjTDIMnFUBADEf0RM/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5212398&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110206&position=Not Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests

Snotel currently has over 80 inches on the ground up top.  Woohoo!

plumber mike

I just bought a new Crewcab worktruck, so we could pile a few guys in and still leave room to pick up #2 in Laramie. I have a two or three bike trailer, plus the bed. I'll just have to ride more when I get there 8)

jacin theis

So far it looks like were are done to:
camping:  Jacin (1 +1 50% chance)  Mike (1) Waked 70% chance(1)
cabin:
RV site:

So with 4 partisipants,  i am not going to work on getting discounted rates. We will just plan when we get closer weather we want a good campground, or if we should rough it a few nights on BLM land. Mike, i have to pick up a friend in Denver, but if he bails i am still riding all the way.  Wacked, hope you make it. Otherwise I am going to wear that NDSU shirt and see if i can get arrested by the local Moab PD, then give them your name.....

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Jacin, I may still be in as well, but I cant seem to nail down my schedule till the night before. I'll try and figure it out by may  ::)
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

plumber mike

At this point, it looks like I'll be picking up Snooker(other Xcountry dude) in Loveland and driving out.

jacin theis

It's getting better:
camping:  Jacin (1 +1 Tony 70% chance)  Mike (1) Snooker (1) Wacked 70% chance(1) Sportfaller ?%(1)
cabin:
RV site:

Any of the Bismarck group into the desert?  Yeti? Joni? LoinGrader? Oofda? Number One? You know htat last time we all met, Malcom was there, you never know who might be in Moab! (I have heard that McGreagor and Boorman are working on a Long Way Through the Arch)  ::)

1100 GS

loingrader

i wish...

my second child is due april 26 so i will not be making a moab trip in may...

if i know what's good for me!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

Loingrader, i would pick on you but since i would give up any trip to hang out with my kids, all i will say is congratulations!!  Wait til their older. My daughter was with me in the garage the other night and said " dad, when are we going to take the motorcycloe and go camping again?" Awesome!
1100 GS

gerry1eye

Jacin and all, son David and I are planning on spending the week camping in the Moab area. Problem is it's 1200 miles from Fargo, so we well be heading back early on Saturday. Hopefully we can scout some trails and hook up for some riding Thursday and Friday. thinking about fixing my brakes so we can sneek up on you guys?
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

jacin theis

I now have a David inspired "Malcom Smith Racing" skid plate on my WR. it will be great to see you guys! I hope to get there Thursday some time. Trying to plan on getting to Denver wednesday. Mike, how much room will you have? i might try to get you to haul two bike for me to fill out your load. Detail, details. The other option is to let you ride and i will haul anyone and thier bike with my crew cab and trailer. Speak up, the end is near.
1100 GS

Wacked

The Good and the Bad!

The Bad: Moab is not in the cards this year ....   My 70% chance just died.

The Good:  Well, there's a lot.  1) I won't be bashing up my "new to me" DRZ quite as early   2) My family is moving to Billings where there's a lot of great riding just out my back door.   3)  That means I'll make the DDSR at FNF this June and connect with many of you again!

The move to a different state means that May will find me home as Mister Mom and packing instead of taking in the intoxicating sites of Moab. 

Sure hope there will be a MOAB II!

Wacked

jacin theis

Well, congratulations to Sue! The interview must have gone well. Remeber to keep guest motorcycles and their rider in mind when find the new house. None of us are really too demanding, a garage with servicing capabilities, a beverage fridge, room for a tent in your yard. Did i mention how much i loved Montana after rdiding through to Canada last year? Meaybe we can make a trip there to help you unpack... ::)  Sorry youll miss Moab, well have to plan something again next year. This can be a trial run.
1100 GS

Sportfaller

Jacin, are you planning on riding the GS down or are you trailering the WR? 
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"