News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Started by Hank, July 25, 2014, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Well put Gerry!  Who's dumb idea was this to have the fall rally a week earlier anyway?  I'm also bring extra extension cords and heaters, plus I have lots of firewood.  And, I'm bringing my chainsaw to go find some "pitch pine" to burn.  (It burns a lot hotter)

Its anybody's guess what Friday morning will bring, but I'm betting there won't be any riding before noon.  I talked with both NDave and Hank and we all agree, change the supper to Saturday night and probably do the planned rides on Saturday.  I thought maybe Friday afternoon we could at least ride gravel, without dust, maybe make our way over to "Red Bird Canyon" and then to Summit Ridge and back.  Or similar.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

sandhillrider

Putting heated grips on Bonnies bike so she's ready.
We are coming tomorrow, hope to be there about 3 so well see whoever shows up in the snow. :)
Looks like sunday might be a good ride day so we may
stay over and leave Monday.

Robmicgrn

I will not make it. Emergency job in Wyoming. Possibly ride on Saturday depending on when I get done and back home. Bummed. Same thing happened at the spring rally.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

NDave

Dale and I  with our ladys will travel down on thur afternoon  maybe eat at Alpine Inn in Hillcity        If weather is bad we will go to Custer to stay with Gerry overnite  then go to Deerfield after a big breakfast        Plan to ride some on fri  PM   then sit around a big fire with  peppermint hot chocolate or beerritas      We plan to ride all day sunday  before staying in Custer      On monday we  head to Bighorns   so Grubbie  I will be asking for advise about that area           We still plan to feed  30 to 40  people on sat nite     LD is there any inside sleeping  areas at  Meadow  Mt  remaining?      what is this I here about a new cave   near our camp?

ryani

A friend and I will be showing up early afternoon on Thursday.  Got the bike ready for some snowy adventures!  The wife and kids will be up late Fri afternoon.  Do some riding with kids on Sat.  Theyre excited!!!
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: NDave on September 10, 2014, 04:28:05 PM
LD is there any inside sleeping  areas at  Meadow  Mt  remaining?      what is this I here about a new cave   near our camp?

I just called Sharon up there, NO, all the cabins and main building are full.

As far as the cave......Towards the end of my proposed loop, it winds up around and above Ditch Creek Campground.  Very cool up there.  Just above one the Ditch Creek campsites, there's a rock out cropping/cave, or in other words, mountain lion home/cave/den.  If we have time, its a pretty cool place to check out......as long as no one is home!  First time we went there, it had cat scat and bat guano at the entrance.  The only way we found it, was from the other side of the valley, going up that trail, we stopped on a switch back.  One of us happen to look over that way to the west, the light and elevation was just right and there it was, the cave.  Of course, I've had this problem for many years.......lets go find it!  It took numerous attempts for us to find our way up there, much less the cave.  This was before accurate GPS.  Once we found it, that's when we discovered who lived there, and no one was home at the time, but we saw the cat scat.  After that, anytime we visited, we had the pistol ready!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on September 10, 2014, 04:59:32 PM
First time we went there, it had cat scat and bat guano at the entrance.  The only way we found it, was from the other side of the valley, going up that trail, we stopped on a switch back.

It all makes sense now... couple years ago I was riding home at dusk and damn near got blown off the road by a car headed towards Ditch Creek campground. Must've been doing 75 mph, no headlights...

BCB1080

Fellow motorcycle lovers, I dumped the 990 and F'd up the front brake's master cylinder not to mention myself a little. I actually bruised my manhood; crazy I didn't think that was as possible as it is. My girlfriend appreciates the swelling. ah buzzing! On a positive note the weather is bad and I found a cheap trials bike from this millennium that is local...for Wyoming and I'm picking that SOB up Sunday!
If any body knows about trials bikes...(I'm a total NOOB). I'm planning to give 1500 for this:

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcy/4633503109.html

Let me know if I'm over paying/buying to small a bike. I just want to learn the basics play on my land then upgrade or sell depending on if I like it or not. Plus I think it would be fun to take camping and on road trips etc. Edit: I know its a little over book but it is hard to find a decent sub 2k modern trials bike.

Thanks.

plumber mike

I know nothing about trials bikes except I KNOW I would hurt myself, and I'm pretty sure I'd have a blast right up until that point.

I'd check all the normal bike stuff, and add in a good look underneath.....damaged cases, broken welds, or other signs of fatigue in the chassis. It looks clean like it could have been more of a conversation piece than used in competitions. Check out his other bikes, car, truck, etc to get a feel for potential maintenance trends. Ask questions. Lots of them.

I've wasted more on less.....how bad could it be? 8)

I'm going to look a little closer at the rally info, as I am currently in a figure 8 pattern on an unplated xr250 following a pw80 in first gear :). It would be nice to do some trails and might could pull it off with just a trail permit. Don't count me in, but don't count me out. You guys are a blast to ride with.

ps.  The snow is trying to stick here in Lead :-X

mitchn06

Have fun out there this weekend fellas! I'll be anxious for the reports back. Wish I could make it! My back is healing nicely, I'm going crazy at home though. 6 weeks at home doing nothing is torture for me. Anyhow, keep 2, or 1 on the ground and stay warm!
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

gerry1eye

Well I thought the weather men was grandstanding when they talked about 12" of snow. This morning in Custer SD, we woke up to close to 8" of very wet snow and it is still coming. See attached picture out the back yard, at least 6 broken jack pine trees from the weight of the snow. We are really missing lumberjacks Josh and Ema.
I'm not sure what is happening in the Deerfield area, but their weather is usually worse than Custer?
The Sun will come out tomorrow and it will be dusty on Sunday, But no hail.  :o
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

gerry1eye

Deerfield weather report for today - Burrrr!!! 14 degrees tonight
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

NDave

NDave and Dale will head to Rapid  at  11am             We might hit  cabelas and  other shopping  today          Fri am    mosey    into the hills

grubbie

We have about 3 inches on the ground here and still coming down hard. The wife's flights home are all delayed so we likely won't make it until tomorrow morning. She was supposed to be home by 1:00, won't be till later this evening. Hopefully we can get there tomorrow in time to ride with everyone. I'm sure you won't be taking off real early.......

ryani

My friend and i made it to mt meadows.  5 to 6 inches and still coming down here.  Great day to do some relaxing.

If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough