Main Menu

To quiet

Started by woodsrider 53 RCSD, October 31, 2013, 08:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Jealous. Wis I was going to the Valley.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

grubbie

Wow, I was totally unaware of the rules....I only have two bikes, one off road, one on road. I need to go shopping.......

Lonesome Dave

We're here to help!  ;D
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

Never to many, until ypu realize you didn, t ride them all last summer..
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

HONDA YAMAHA SHERCO BETA KTM HUSQVARNA USED NEW 250 300 400 2 STROKE 4 STROKE YIKES ?

Bogus Jim

Quote from: woodsrider 53 RCSD on November 05, 2013, 06:01:27 PM
HONDA YAMAHA SHERCO BETA KTM HUSQVARNA USED NEW 250 300 400 2 STROKE 4 STROKE YIKES ?

Stan I found a couple more bikes for you to look at. First is the totally kickass R1 enduro. More importantly, the seat height is low.

Or if you want to stay with Kawasaki here is a KLR 650 turbo.

Both very practical motorcycles, with good resale, in my opinion.

Hank

I had to watch the whole R1 video, just because its so ridiculous.    Wretched excess taken to a whole new level!

On the topic of wretched excess, this weekend I'm picking up a 530 XC-W for Cara's brother.  I can't wait to ride that thing.

woodsrider 53 RCSD

I do not  think those will work out to good for me Jim they look fun to ride though.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: woodsrider 53 RCSD
I do not  think those will work out to good for me Jim they look fun to ride though.

What? I can't believe you don't want a 180hp dirt bike.

Quote from: Hankthis weekend I'm picking up a 530 XC-W for Cara's brother

Yeah, I'm thinking there's a good chance my next bike is a KTM 450, 500, or maybe 350. I'd like EFI but maybe I'll just get a 450 w/carb, you can find those pretty reasonably priced. Set it up for dual sport rides and keep the two stroke for singletrack.

But, a Tiger 800 would be fun too...

Hank

Quote from: Bogus Jim on November 06, 2013, 09:11:43 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking there's a good chance my next bike is a KTM 450, 500, or maybe 350. I'd like EFI but maybe I'll just get a 450 w/carb, you can find those pretty reasonably priced. Set it up for dual sport rides and keep the two stroke for singletrack.

But, a Tiger 800 would be fun too...

I wasn't ready to spend the cash on one of the new fuel injected models, although I've read both the 350 and the 500 are pretty incredible.   After a LOT of reading I settled on an 09 400 XC-W.    They weren't big sellers because they were priced just 1-200 less than the 450s, but a lot of people think they are one of the best all arounders and REALLY good in the woods.     I just love it.  It feels much closer to Cara's WR250F than to my WR450 in terms of mass, but its extremely close to the WR450 in terms of power.   The suspension and handling are great (mine does have a Slavens shock).

Compared to WR450 power, it might be down a little, but not enough to really matter.  HP numbers on the 400 are low 40s.  I was hoping to drag race it against the 450 before I sold it but never got it done.    It has a softer delivery right above idle, which is a good thing in the tight stuff as the WR hit pretty hard right there.   Despite that I found myself running in 2nd in all situations and working the clutch a bit in Akeley's ST which is pretty tight.    It has enough power to easily power wheelie in 3rd, which is about like the WR450 was.   I have a powerbomb header, Q4 exhaust and JD jet kit in mine.

I do see a core EXP Rekluse in my near future, but even without it I think the 400 is great in the woods.

The gearbox is spaced really well.   6th is pretty tall, easily running 90 without revving too bad and feeling downright lazy at 60.   

If you have a choice between an XC-W or EXC, get the XC-W.   Its easier to make a XC-W street legal than it is to strip an EXC down to a woods ready dualsport.  The XC-W's wiring harness is the same as the EXC so the lights are plug and play.   The EXCs are geared stupid tall.   The XC-W is plenty tall geared for street use.     The EXCs have smog crap on them.   This holds true for the XC4 (08-11) and the new models, and on the new FI models the EXCs don't come with the good FI maps.

If you do get an XC4 engine, I'd avoid the 08s.   They aren't terrible but there were some improvements in 09 and more minor improvements in 10 and 11.

Bogus Jim

Hmmm. 2009 400 xcw w/60 hours, priced close to book value.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/4091412890.html

I need to find room in the garage...

Hank

Chris (brother in law) was eyeing that one before he went for the 530.    The 530 he got is a crazy good deal.. damper, Rekluse, extra tires, Q4, jet kit, its loaded and it was priced right.   

I think the 400 guy in the cities is willing to negotiate a bit too.    It also looks like a nice bike, although a bit light on the farkles..    I talked to him a bit for Chris, and even thought it might be a good bike for Cara, but she decided to stick with her 250.

I paid 4400 for my 400.  It had 16 hours on it and came with skid plate, flexx bars, Slavens shock, 1 extra tire, extra air filter and Cycra hand guards.   All 16 hours were spent in the "steep and deep" in the rockies, so the plastic showed plenty of skid marks.   KTM plastic is cheap though.. I replaced nearly all of it for less than $150.

Hank

We are enroute home with the 530.   The seller also has a 350, 500, and 690, all '13 or newer.   A nice pack of orange!!

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800

Hank

Is everyone in hibernation?

greatbuffalo

Sweet bike that 530 is.

I don't think I'm gonna have a new bike in my foreseen future. I wish, but I don't think it will happen.

Someday I might take a sip of the Tang but right now.........
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?