News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Torque wrench opinions needed

Started by greatbuffalo, December 10, 2011, 07:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

My son is in the Power Sports program at Mitchell Tech. I was thinking about buying a decent torque wrench for Christmas. Anyone have a suggestion on what veriety to buy at a resonable cost? I spent some serious money on a not-so-basic tool set from Snap-on at a killer price, like 70% off. That deal is no longer in effect and Snap-On wants like 400 bucks for a click style. I've looked at the Craftman clicks and they're in my price range but uncertain how they'll hold up over the long run. They are not guaranteed for life like their other hand tools.

Any suggestions and advice?
Thanks
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

agspecialties

I run all craftman in my fab shop. I have the torque wrench from craftman and it has handled all of my abuse. Plus if something is wrong with it, they replace it with no questions asked.
Yesterday i took in 5 rachets wrenchs and they replace all five with no problem.

greatbuffalo

Hank

We have all craftsman at our shop too.  I think they've generally held up pretty well and crafstman does stand behind them for the most part.  We did have issues with them not wanting to warranty their cordless drills.   We won't buy their drills any more (using Milwaukee now I think) but for hand tools they've been good.

We typically don't use torque wrenches a whole lot, so I can't speak directly about their torque wrench quality.   I have a couple cheapo click types at home and one good quality beam type.  They've all been fine, but that's just hobby level usage.

greatbuffalo

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with Craftsman. Their web site says they're guaranteed for a year and calibration for 90 days but most say they will stand behind them as if they're a ratchet.