News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Toolkit Contents

Started by Osnabrock, February 12, 2012, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I was getting my motorbike stuff in order today and decided to put my tool pack back together so I'd have it assembled when the time comes to ride this Spring. 
My toolkit has been through many incarnations and, while I keep a pretty comprehensive toolbox, I keep trying to pare down my on-bike supplies.
What does everyone carry with them on their person or their bike?
Here's a photo of my present waist pack tools, minus a CO2 cartridge system.
-Cresent Wrench
-Tire irons (wrapped with duct tape for improvising)
-Patch kit (in square cigar container)
-2,3,4,5,6 mm allen wrenches
-18" zip ties
-small gutter patch
-slip joint pliers
-wrenches 15/14 mm, 12/11mm, 13 mm, 10 mm
-multitool
-4 in 1 screwdriver
-telescoping magnetic thingy
-small bit of emery cloth
-auto/marine silicone
-bit of electrical wire
-small black box containing extra spark plugs
-small black pokey thing
I'm eager to hear what I'm forgetting.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

or a stick of epoxy that you tear a chunk off, work it in your hands and then slap it on the hole. 

yeti had some that i used to repair a hole in the crankcase of a ttr225 during a ddsr a few years ago.  bike is still running strong.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

Good call.  I'll have to add that to the list.
I also forgot to include a small, hotel sized container of shampoo to use as anti-fog on goggles or a visor.  Spread it on real thin and wipe it off and you're fog free.
I'm also going to add a small length of fuel line to siphon fuel and some oil to mix in case I'm riding the two stroke. 
Speaking of which,  I heard that if you connect  some fuel line to two bikes, open the petcocks, and let them sit for a while, the fuel will equalize and you'll have split the remaining fuel from the donor bike.  Has anyone tried this?  I know that KLR's have a vacuum valve that poses some problems when trying to drain the fuel.

Sportfaller

I believe Jacin was JB welding his transmission mount back together here...

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

sam i am

How well do those CO2 canisters work? I've been wondering if they have what it takes to inflate a dirt bike tube.

One thing I've been riding with is a small 12V compressor.  I purchased one of those cheap "emergency" automotive kits with the air compressor built in and removed the motor and pump assembly.  It's actually quite small and is no bigger than an average fist.  Then I cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wired in a battery tender plug so it connects easily to the battery tender plug on my bike.  It's come in handy a few times as I like to run lower pressure in the tires which results in pinch flats when it get's rocky.  I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home.

What other pumps do you guys/gals carry?  I've heard of people using those small handheld bicycle pumps...but those seem like they would take forever.  One thing I know for sure is that I've shredded many a tube on the infamous razor sharp Black Hills slate.

Besides what you have listed, maybe throw a ratchet and some sockets (and a socket extension)?  Sometimes it's impossible to get a wrench on those hard-to-get-to fasteners.  I carry a 1/4" ratchet with just the size sockets for my KTM and one 3" extension.

Osnabrock

When I'm traveling, I have a little compressor that I got in a kit with Slime brand tire sealer.  I found a photo online.  Mine's been banged around alot and works just fine.  I keep it in my panniers when I'm traveling or in my Jeep when I'm trailering so I can tend to tires at camp.  The bad thing about it is that it probably adds about 4 pounds to my waist pack if I carry it.
Luckily, I have never needed to rely upon the CO2 system but it should put enough pressure in a tire to flee the situation.  I also don't have a good way to power it if I'm on my dirtbike since it doesn't have very much output electrically and no battery. 
I'm eager to hear what the mountainbikers in the group have to say about the handpumps. 

Bogus Jim

QuoteI've heard of people using those small handheld bicycle pumps...but those seem like they would take forever.

I just carry a small bicycle pump and I can confirm that it takes a while. But I'm usually not in a big hurry unless it's getting dark. It would suck if you got two flats on the same ride but so far that hasn't happened to me.

You get a real sense of accomplishment, inflating a tire by hand.  :D

Osnabrock

I just ordered a couple of things that may lighten my pack even more.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2200/PN-TIB/Tire-Levers-pair
and
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2199/PN-CT-PW1/Cruz-Tools-PowerDrive-Sliding-T-Driver-Set
I had a certificate for $25 of free stuff so I made out like a bandit.
I've got one more for $50 off a $100 purchase so I may pick up a few more useful items before the Spring comes.
I have to say though, it's 35* here today so I think I'm going to go for a ride right now.

Bogus Jim

I bought one of these kits last summer. You can sometimes find them on sale for $49. Incredibly compact, and replaces quite a few individual tools in a toolkit.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

I also carry tire irons with the built-in 24mm and 27mm socket for the axle nuts. So that gets rid of the axle wrench. I think the tire irons are MotionPro as well.

sam i am

Hmm...that Motion Pro tool looks like a great kit.  That would definitely replace many of the loose tools I've been carrying.  I'll have to keep my eye out for one on sale sometime.  On a side note, I've been very happy with my other Motion Pro tools...very good quality.

jacin theis

Not sure why Josh dragged me into this, i rode mine home.... 8)   I like the original list, plus the add-ons mentioned. I have looked at several kits, and have been really lax about actually putting together a dedicated kit.  Iusually throw a crate full of stuff in the camper......I suppose its time. thanks for the push and info.

P.S. PlumberMike and I tried to jump his X using the directly connected battery tender leads (i know, i know ::)) As you can guess, we forgot that the fuze is only a 3 amp..... So i would add to the kit a tow strap, to use on the pegs between bikes.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS