News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Grip Stick

Started by Hank, March 01, 2015, 08:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

I've never had much luck with the tubes of grip glue, especially on the none-throttle side.   It seems like that adhesive usually lasts about 1 ride and my grip starts to move around.

I found a tip on ADVrider that I like.    Clean the bar and wrap a single layer of electrical tape around it.   Spray the tape with an aggressive solvent (I used tar remover, he mentioned carb or brake cleaner) which softens and turns the tape gooey.   While its wet, slide the grip on.

I did that today and the grip is locked tight now.  Will report back after Moab if it holds up.

greatbuffalo

I learned way back when racing BMX that the best way to keep grips on was to spray the end of the bar with a bit of spray paint and shove on the grip and let them setup. Still do that on my motorbikes and never had one come loose.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

I'll have to try the electrical tape. I use safety wire but it seems the left side still moves a little.

I put a set of grips on with polyurethane glue once (a common brand name is gorilla glue). They didn't move 1/100 of an inch, ever... but when it came time to take them off... holy crap. I ended up grinding them off with a dremel, and it's hard not to damage the plastic throttle tube.

greatbuffalo

I find with the spray paint method that they don't move but when removing, just a slice down the center and peel then like a banana.

loingrader

Hair spray has always worked great for me.  Slippery at first so it goes on easy.  Dries and locks it down.  I recommend hair net ultimate hold.  ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

I've had good luck with hair spray (aqua net since it works in the potato gun too). Recently I've been using Honda brand grip glue and it works well. It is a little messy but seems to hold well if you apply to both the bar and the inside of the grip hten slide them on.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

I've heard others using hairspray but never done it myself. Soundslike it works on the same principle as the Spray paint.

On the subject of Potato guns. Hairspray only gums up the works. I moved to using Compressed air and propane. I don't recomend the propane, or acetalene for that matter. Compressed air works the best.

Fletch

The potato gun is long gone, just too much trouble ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

ryani

2nd the hair spray.  slippery to slide the grip on then sticky to keep it in place.  I've been frowned upon a few times as the wife's a hair stylist and wonders why here $30 can off hair spray is sitting in the garage. haha

My propellant of choice for my spud gun is ether.  Works great. 
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Hank

I'll try the hairspray next time.  On the subject of grips, these are my favorites.  Bigger diameter and thick rubber.  http://odigrips.com/store/moto/moto-products/rogue-moto-grips

Sent from the Altair 8800 I carry around.

tannerc

Quote from: loingrader on March 02, 2015, 07:24:07 PM
Hair spray has always worked great for me.  Slippery at first so it goes on easy.  Dries and locks it down.  I recommend hair net ultimate hold.  ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yup hair spray and then I wire tie them.. Locks them in place. I had one come loose before on a stiff throttle spring, it was a PIA over a long distance run on the XR.. after that I started to wire them.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

Well, after 5 days of hard riding in Moab, my left side grip never budged a mm with the tape and solvent method.   Hairspray sounds easier if it words as well though.

ZIGGY

I've always had good luck with spray paint. I use an automotive clear coat. Slides on nice and gives you plenty of time to adjust the grips into position. Haven't had one break free as of yet.

Quote from: Hank on March 04, 2015, 08:08:56 AM
On the subject of grips, these are my favorites.  Bigger diameter and thick rubber.  http://odigrips.com/store/moto/moto-products/rogue-moto-grips

Hank, picked up a set of these on your recomendation. Wow these are nice! Lots of cushion and grip. Thanks!

Has anyone tried the lock on style?
http://odigrips.com/store/moto/moto-products/mx-v2-lock-on-rogue
They have knock out ends for handguard installation.

Hank

Glad you liked them.   I need to put a set on my Tiger too.

Hank

Been adding a few goodies to my new to me 200, including my favorite grips.    KTM stock grips are about as comfy as their seats.

I liked the tape/solvent method well, the set on my 400 has not budged a micron, but I thought when I put them on the solvents I tried didn't do a very quick job on the tape.   Did some googling and someone suggested gas and electrical tape.    This worked GREAT.  Soaked a shop towel in gas and let it sit on the tape a few minutes, the drizzled some gas in the grip, and they slid on like butter, and were locked completely solid in about 5 minutes.