News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Got myself a KLR!

Started by ryani, July 12, 2015, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryani

Well I finally did it.  Picked up a 85 klr600. Runs great!  Elect and kick start and both work. It needs a few things but thats to be expected on a 30/year old machine.

Threw the wife on back and ripped around on some gravel roads back of the fish n fry last night. It was very quiet from the pillion seat....that means she liked it.

The old klr might be tagging along to the fall rally.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

she looks super clean, nice find.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Hank

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Looks like a fun ride.

ryani

Thanks guys.

Just got back from a 30 mile shake down run.

It needs a few things.  Chain and sprockets, seat cover and tire of my choice.

Very fun ride though. So much torque!

loingrader

There have been loads of klrs at ddsr rally's but to my knowledge that will be the first 600.  Super cool bike.  Great find Ryan!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

ryani

Thanks. It will be a keeper for awhile...........  Have to rebuild the rear shock. Its blown.  Having to use parts from a kx125 and a yz80 to rebuild it. haha.  God bless the internet!

ryani

The old girl is back in action. Rebuilt the front forks and rear shock. New wheel bearings front and rear. New tires. New chain and sprockets.

Got some fancy swingarm sliders made out of self lubricating Teflon.

Added wider pegs off of a CR 250 completely disassembled the swing arm and regreased it.

Dressed it up with euro spec seat cover and stickers.

Going to put a few miles on it now just for assurance it will stay together.

Oh and it has a new name......the trail caddy!  Low and cushy and torque for days!!

Robmicgrn

"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ryani

Thanks! The countershaft seal was weeping. No biggy ripped it and got new one coming with a new oring and collar just to be safe. All part numbers are the same from 84 klr's all the way up to present.  The thing is 84 through 86 the seal is pressed in from the inside!!!!!

Wasn't splitting the case on this kind of beast so I for a pencil die grinder and ground out the small lip.  Slid the seal In from the outside. No leaks!...so far.

greatbuffalo

That looks amazing. nice work. Love that red.

ryani

Got the rear rack fabbed up today. Put led lights everywhere. The headlight is amazing. 12w low 18w high and twice as bright as the old 55/60

Lonesome Dave

Man, I wish you were my neighbor.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

He is kinda my neighbor, that means nothing.  :D