News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

When do you let a good bike go?

Started by Osnabrock, April 04, 2013, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I've been thinking recently of selling one of my bikes.  Not really my first bike, but the first bike that I spent a lot of time on.  It sounds like most folks regret selling the bike that got them into the sport but I always take that with a grain of salt.
While I've racked up tons of miles on it in the past, in the last two years it's only been out about once a month during the riding season.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?  Tell us your stories.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Hank

I typically let them go when I run out of room, or six months, whichever comes first   :evil

Life is short, I want to try as many cool bikes as I can.   Of all the stuff I've bought and sold I only have one trade that I regret, and that was selling my cbr1100xx to get the new zx-14.    The mistake was two-fold - the XX was really heavily customized to make it "perfect" for me, and it practically was, and I bought the 14 new.   I know better than buying something new unless you're gonna keep it a REALLY long time, and I re-learned that lesson.     I didn't keep the 14 long and the miles were expensive.   

I had the XX three years which is a long time for me, and I wish I still did.

The other bike I miss is my 950 ADV which was sold out of reliability related frustrations (water pumps).   But what a great bike to ride.  Some day I'll have another or something similar.

Bikes are just machines, and if you miss what you're selling, you can always find another just like it.   Unless of course you have it perfectly customized :)
If you're buying used in the fall and selling in the spring, the cost of flipping is minimal, or sometimes you can even make a little.   At least enough to cover the gas to make the drive to pick up!

If you're not riding it much, and you want the room or the cash, sell it.   That's my opinion.

Dr Psyko

Wow, you had to bring this up.  I tend to buy bikes, then keep them, I have a tough time letting them go.  I have had at least three motorcycles for longer than 10 years, one currently for 15 years.  The bike I regret selling the most was a 1981 Ducati 900 SS, I can still hear that thing in the back of my mind, the standard to which I compare all motorcycle sounds.  If I put my doctor hat on, this is probably closer to a hoarding, anxiety issue.  Freud would have said that we tend to hold onto things out of the fear of losing a part of our own identity if we were to sell them.  I say when in doubt, get a bigger garage.

Psyko
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Bogus Jim

Osnabrock

The Freud "wisdom" is good food for thought.  It would be a bit of a departure for me from my identity.  When I got this bike, I only had eyes for mileage.  I used to mow down the miles on the beast.  I was a "Long Way Down" disciple.  Now I just don't have the interest for it but the bike is set up perfectly for that purpose. 
Perhaps I'll just bring it up to the farm for gravel forays.  Put it on a crate, drain and oil the tank, and put a cover over it to revisit at an older age.  Spray painted, high mileage bikes don't fetch the price they are worth sentimentally.
Still, I'm interested in the dialogue.  Keep the opinions and stories coming.

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

tannerc

I have this problem where machines are not just machines to me. I have a 1994 GS500 (first street bike) sitting in my garage that doesn't get much use beside me getting ready for the summer, putting back in the garage then getting it ready for the winter and putting back in the garage. Its a blast to ride around town, bulletproof & simple to work on if something does act up.  The GF doesn't like it, its purple and has white wheels :o the 90's. I should be putting it on Craigslist and getting rid of it but its tough to abandon something that brought you so much joy at one time. 

Actually  even the mini trails,Honda xl 75 and honda fatcat we trashed as kids are still in the old mans shop.

** I almost forgot.. I did sell one bike. I bought a CRF450R that I intended on reselling. I didn't ride it much. I didn't mind seeing it go as it had no soul. That one was just a machine.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Dr Psyko

Thanks for the you tube 900 ss clips, fond memories! Mine too had the Conti exhausts (basicly megaphones), and had the greatest up and down throttle cadence BBRRAAPPP!!! all the way up, and off the throttle usually first a POP, then WWAAUUGGHH!!! Almost sounded better off the throttle!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Fletch

I typically fall out of love with a bike before it is worn out and replace it with something new. Once riding it no longer brings a smile to my face its days are numbered. except for KTM300's they just get replaced with a new one due to old age ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

loingrader

Bikes that mean a lot to me get sold cheap to close friends or family so I can keep tabs on them with the rule that I can buy them back for the same price when they no longer want them.  My first street bike was an 87 Suzuki gs450l.  Bought it when I was 14 (which unless my math is wrong was apparently 20 yrs ago) and I know exactly where it is and can claim it at any moment.  My first dirt bike is at my grandfathers.  Many have come and gone but these I keep tabs on for posterity. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro