News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Food for the road

Started by hayduke.klr07, April 05, 2014, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayduke.klr07

I just finished a backpacking trip to southeast Utah and tried out a different brand of food I thought someone might be interested in.

Hawk Vittles: http://hawkvittles.com

We tried the shrimp jambalaya, morroccan stew, and the hash browns and sausage. All were pretty dog gone good, especially the Moraccan stew. I have eaten plenty of backpacker pantry and mountain house. I am sold on the Vittles. I think they are the best value out there. When it says "2 servings" believe it. The double servings are enough for two hungry guys. This is not the case with the other commercial brands out there in my opinion. I can usually put down a double serving of a backpackers pantry pretty easily. There is no way I could do that with the Vittles. In fact, the two of us could not finish the hash brown and sausage. If all the meals are as good as what we had (and I am betting they are) they are most certainly worthy. You will also see the snuggie to keep the food warm as it rehydrates. I did not spring for it on my first purchase but will on my next.

I would not hesitate to give Hawk Vittles a try. I know that I am done with the other brands.

AND, not only is the food good but local too!  They are based out of Porcupine, SD.

tannerc

Good looking menu too, enough different choices to keep it interesting.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Very cool. Thanks for the recommendation.
Where can they be sourced locally or they a mail order company?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

hayduke.klr07

I believe them to be mail order but might be worth sending an email and asking.  I have only place one order thus far, but turn around was pretty quick.

Lee Bruns

I bet it would heat up nicely in the cooker on my DRZ250. Great looking product.

greatbuffalo

Will send them an order this week. Looks like some good grub.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?