News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Planning for Fall 2012 Rally

Started by The Yeti, July 03, 2012, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

No Problem..I left them a message.   I'll keep everyone posted.

loingrader

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

OK Rates are as follows:

Cabin $75 per night
Full hook up $29 per night
Electric only $23 per night
Tent $14 per night, $5 for an additional tent on the site

Deduct 10% for our group rate.   Sounds like rates are going up next year.

They currently have 1 cabin rented for those dates, 3 remain.
One full hook up site is rented, 4 remain.

I'll start a sign up thread in a day or two once people have digested this (and commented as needed).

loingrader

thanks hank.  it will be fun to try this place out.  hope you can join us!!!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Thanks again for taking care of this Hank!

I assume the RV 'electric only' sites include water...? Do you know how many of those sites are left?

Also, do they allow dogs?
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

There is "water around" the electric sites.   That isn't very helpful.

I assume camper people will make their own reservations?   I'm new to this :)   

Dogs are allowed - if leashed.

Lonesome Dave

Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured this might be the place.  LD

Well, once again, Bogus Jim and I have been out riding/scouting for the fall rally.  Or maybe I should say we just like to ride, but we eventually made it to the Deerfield area!  This past Saturday, Jim took the lead and I ate dust all day, but what a day.  We were at a rock cliff on the far (south) side of Dark Canyon, a Pactola Dam overlook on the downstream side (very cool).  Also made it to the bottom of the dam and observed a pair of Osprey parents and their chicks in the nest.  Found a couple of new FUN trails and a familar old one just ridden in reverse.

Another overlook we shall call the "End of 129."  You ride forever on trails I will probably never find again without Jim and eventually you make it to a cliff with a 270 degree view.

Last, but not least, the grand daddy of them all, a scenic view overlooking the Castle Creek valley.  What makes this special, it's one of the most famous photographs taken on Custer's historic 1874 Black Hills Expedition.  It's a photo of the expedition's wagons (coming towards the camera) in a long line up the Castle Creek Valley.  The wagons had stopped and were waiting for a temporary bridge to be built in the creek so they could pass.  The expeditions photographer, W.H. Illingworth, took the opportunity of the delay to climb up and take the photo July 26, 1874.  We of course didn't hike, just rode there, but I got a pretty good photograph!  LD

Dark Canyon

Pactola Overlook

End of 129 looking west

Now looking east to Hat Mountain

Original photo  (Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to put the photo into this post except with the following link.)

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz4c4HIo0X4DvcSq0vCJZ_ZbteUtUIrAsUuwJ8LEOgGM7U0O85hw

My attempt

Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Very cool Dave. I one day want to ride that route as closely as can be done. I have it about all mapped out in TopoUSA.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

This is the photo from the Custer book, for those who haven't seen it...

jacin theis

I love the two Paul Horstead books with the steroscope photos. That is a really great concept. I always find it interesting how few treees there were when Custer came in. I assume they had less fire issues with natural forests. It would be fun to follow GB's map of these.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

I found quite a rare book that was actually the ground work done for the Horsted book in the 70's. Surprisingly there is no mention of this book in there citations. It was done by USD I think or SDSU. I'll have to hunt it down and bring it with me to the rally. I think you guys would find it interesting. The whole route is both USGS maps, as Horsted's is as well as aerial photographs. Being nearly 40 years earlier the trail was more prominent as well.  This book even contains "now and then" photos.  Coincidence? I think not.

jacin theis

Paul is an SDSU alumni, so i wonder if he came across that in his time there, and then did his books later? Maybe you can black-mail him, retire and take us all on a round the world bike adventure!!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Lonesome Dave

Dan your such a conspiracist.  (And yes its spelled right, I checked!)  :evil   Oh yea, count me in on the around the world adventure.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Oh yes, this is a conspiracy theorists dream. ;D I'm all about a round the world bike trip though.
I do have to admit that was annoyed though, at the blatant similarities of the books and no citations. Granted the Horsted books are much more polished and have a wealth of info and very well organized but not even a side note. Like I said, I'll bring and you can be the judge.

Hmmmm........what bike do I take around the world????????????   I'm thinkin' the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC, now that they finally listened to me and put spoked rims on it.  8)