News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

1980 XS650 Special - Caf-Track-Fighter

Started by JoniJo, July 05, 2012, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

This started out as a Cafe' project but as I began putting the parts that I liked together, she's a bit of an anomaly.
It's a bit cafe, a bit tracker and just a bit street fighter. Whatever it is....I love it. It's a blast to ride once you figure out where to put your feet!!!  :o
There's still work to be done. The fly screen is Thruxton Tornado red/White. The tank and some other parts will be painted to match. It will need some good tires. The wheels will be powder coated. Not sure what color yet.

What's been done:
New Bars  (Had to be higher because of my neck)
New Grips
New steering head bearings
New swing arm bushings
New pod filters
New 2 into 1 exhaust
New tailight
New seat
New "retro" shocks
New rear sets
Shortened front fender
Got rid of rear fender
New "O" ring gold chain
......and probably some stuff I forgot.

Anyway..... it's my new toy.
If you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.   8)    JoniJo

P.S. I'm not a mechanic. I had a ton of help from my friend Tracin out at Gretna Cycle. He's the lead mechanic for Jeff Gibson who rides the National Arenacross Series.

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Dr Psyko

I like! I had a 2 into 1 exhaust on my 77 XS650 in the day. It was a "Hooker" if I recall. It would really drone on the highway!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Looks great Joni!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JoniJo

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

greatbuffalo

Those yamahas love it when exhausts are merged. I had an XJ 750 that I changed from 4 to 2, to 4 into 1. Made the bike come alive. The 2 to 1 will do the same.

Lookin good!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Thats gonna be a sweet bike. I like where your going with it.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

AncientMariner

My '78 XS650 is pretty stock.  I absolustely love the burbly sound!
'01 TTR125L, '01 WR426 plated, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7C, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 Kaw Nomad -John